Trial ordered for man accused of soliciting nude photos from Utah teen
DUCHESNE — An Oregon man accused of soliciting and receiving nude photographs from a Utah teenager has been ordered to stand trial.
Daniel Dean Divine, 31, waived his right to a preliminary hearing Thursday in 8th District Court and was bound over for trial by Judge George Harmond. Divine is charged with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony, and one count of enticing a minor over the Internet, a class A misdemeanor.
In April, a 13-year-old Duchesne County girl disclosed to investigators that Divine had sent her an iPhone and asked her to use it to send him nude photos of herself, according to charging documents.
"(The girl) stated she realized Daniel was older and wanted to have sex, so she took the photos just to keep him happy," the charges state. "(The girl) asked her mother to take the photos of her when she could not figure out how to make the camera on the iPhone work."
Duchesne County sheriff's detectives say the girl's mother agreed to her daughter's request, taking three nude photos of the teen.
The woman, who is 35, also told investigators that Divine is a "very good friend of the family" and that her daughter and Divine planned to wait until the girl was 18 years old to engage in a sexual relationship.
The girl's mother was charged in May with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony. She is scheduled to stand trial Dec. 14.
The Deseret News does not typically report the identities of victims of sex crimes and therefore is not publishing the name of the mother to protect her daughter.
Divine remains in the Duchesne County Jail, where he is being held in lieu of $30,000 bail. His next court appearance is set for Oct. 18.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11