DUCHESNE — An Oregon man accused of soliciting and receiving nude photographs from a Utah teenager has been ordered to stand trial.
Daniel Dean Divine, 31, waived his right to a preliminary hearing Thursday in 8th District Court and was bound over for trial by Judge George Harmond. Divine is charged with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony, and one count of enticing a minor over the Internet, a class A misdemeanor.
In April, a 13-year-old Duchesne County girl disclosed to investigators that Divine had sent her an iPhone and asked her to use it to send him nude photos of herself, according to charging documents.
"(The girl) stated she realized Daniel was older and wanted to have sex, so she took the photos just to keep him happy," the charges state. "(The girl) asked her mother to take the photos of her when she could not figure out how to make the camera on the iPhone work."
Duchesne County sheriff's detectives say the girl's mother agreed to her daughter's request, taking three nude photos of the teen.
The woman, who is 35, also told investigators that Divine is a "very good friend of the family" and that her daughter and Divine planned to wait until the girl was 18 years old to engage in a sexual relationship.
The girl's mother was charged in May with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony. She is scheduled to stand trial Dec. 14.
The Deseret News does not typically report the identities of victims of sex crimes and therefore is not publishing the name of the mother to protect her daughter.
Divine remains in the Duchesne County Jail, where he is being held in lieu of $30,000 bail. His next court appearance is set for Oct. 18.
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Senate committee snuffs out e-cigarettes...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- House, Senate still struggling over budget
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 31
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 19
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 18