Health hotline: Doctors to answer questions on hand, wrist and elbow conditions and injuries
Trigger fingers, he said, are also common and can be treated with steroids and surgery to release the tendon that locks up a finger's joints, preventing free movement.
Olson, who divides his time between Intermountain Healthcare's The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital and the Park City Medical Center's Rosenberg Cooley Metcalf orthopedic clinic, said he chose to specialize in upper extremity anatomy because of how much proper function of the hands can impact a person's quality of life.
"I just found that I loved being able to use my hands to make a significant impact on patients' lives," he said. "It's a satisfying thing to see big differences in their lives." Olson said it is also promising that elbow, hand and wrist surgeries tend to have few potential complications.
He and Schmidt, who also works at The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital, will be featured on Saturday's Deseret News/Intermountain Healthcare Health Hotline, where they will take questions from the public on the diagnosis and treatment of elbow, forearm and hand injuries. From 10 a.m. until noon, anyone interested is welcome to call 1-800-925-8177 or post questions on the Deseret News Facebook page, www.facebook.com/desnews.
Hotline Saturday: Preventing elbow, wrist and hand injury
The Deseret News/Intermountain Healthcare Hotline focuses on elbow, forearm and hand injuries. From 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Dr. Patrick Olson, an orthopedic surgeon at Intermountain's The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital, and occupational therapist Jackie Schmidt, will answer callers' confidential questions. Call 1-800-925-8177, toll-free during that time. Those interested can also post questions during that time on the Deseret News Facebook page, www.facebook.com/desnews.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 75
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 27
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25