Head coach Patrick Shane and the BYU women’s cross-country team head to Sparks, Nev., Saturday to compete in the Reno Twilight Classic.
“Because we chose not to place last week,” Shane said, “competing in the Twilight Classic will be a great chance to show the strong caliber of team we have for the first time this season. This will be our first test as a team.”
BYU did not place as a team at the Utah State Classic due to a decision to run two incomplete teams. The first team consisted of four runners, and the second consisted of two. This week, however, the Cougars plan to run for a first-place finish against UNR, in-state rival Utah and UNLV.
Juniors Candace Eddy Carlisle and Loren Wynn go into their second race of the year as two of the top runners for the Cougars so far this season. Carlisle finished first for BYU and 14th overall last week. Wynn finished third for BYU and 20th overall. Freshman Jennica Redd and Meghan Hedquist also had solid performances last week finishing 20th and 25th, respectively.
Other runners set to compete for the first time this season include Lisa Drury, Andrea Nelson, Makenna Smith, Rachel Stewart, Katie Swanson, Kathryn Vidmar, Ashleigh Warner, Danica Wyson and Laura Young.
The Reno Twilight Classic is an annual event hosted by the University of Nevada Reno, which is open to runners in middle school, high school, college and the community. The meet will kick off at 6:10 p.m. PDT with the middle school runners, and the remaining divisions will then begin with 25-minute intervals in between.
The women’s college division will begin at 9:10 p.m., and the community division will close out the classic at 9:40 p.m.
All races will take place on a loop course at Shadow Mountain Park.
Full results of the classic will be available at www.nevadawolfpack.com at the conclusion of the races.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at email@example.com,
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 39
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 32
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 30
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 30
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28