Ken Smith, iMatter
Our take: Have presidential candidates responses to American's top science questions changed over the years? Shawn Lawrence Otto, co-founder of Sciencedebate.org, analyzes President Barack Obama's and Governor Mitt Romney's recent responses to questions on climate change and vaccines relating to autism.
"President Barack Obama and his challenger, Governor Mitt Romney, have answered 14 Top American Science Questions put to them by the grassroots nonprofit I lead, ScienceDebate.org. The candidates' answers provide valuable insight into their positions on issues that, while among the most important facing the country, usually get short shrift on the campaign trail. Here they are:/p>
"One of the most interesting highlights from the responses is Mitt Romney's shift on climate change, away from his most recent position, which was, 'My view is we don't know what's causing climate change on this planet,' back toward the view he held in June 2011, shortly after announcing his run for the presidency, when he acknowledged that people are significant contributors to climate change. Four days after he made that statement, Romney was slammed by Rush Limbaugh, who said, 'Bye-bye nomination. Another one down. We're in the midst here of discovering that this is all a hoax. The last year has established that the whole premise of man-made global warming is a hoax, and we still have presidential candidates who want to buy into it.'"
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Student debt pushing some retirees toward...
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- How much America wants to be taxed
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Dempsey: Half of Iraqi army not OK as... 4