It’s that time of year again where Wolverine runners are sprinting into season. Utah Valley's men's and women's cross-country teams are back and ready for action.
After a season-opener at the Aggie Invitational hosted by Utah State in Logan, the Wolverines are feeling more confident for upcoming events.
"Going into the race we didn’t really know exactly how our team would do because of the new kids and young experience," head coach Scott Houle said. "But all in all I felt both men and women ranged really well and gave us some good excitement for the future of this year."
Competing against three other Utah schools, BYU, Weber State and Utah, freshman Darian Sharp placed 11th overall.
“Our first race at Utah State was really good,” Sharp said. “The girl’s team did really well and we are just going to keep getting better and better.”
UVU women finished with 76 points putting them in second place behind Weber State, while the men finished with 86 points putting them in third behind Weber State and BYU.
With the confidence UVU holds as a younger team, expectations are sky rocketing after a successful start to the season.
"Our goal is to win the GWC championship," Houle said. "That’s always a big goal for us to win as a team, as well as individually."
The UVU runners said it's a goal to run well at the Great West Conference championship race this season, as well as at the regional championships. The men's team placed 14th last year at the regional championships, while the women's team did not place.
"Our biggest thing is to make sure we improve as an individual as well as a team [for men's and women's]," Houle said. "When we go to meets like Minnesota and our pre-national meets, those are big gages for us to go to and [we] are excited to see how well we can finish against the rest of the country."
Rachel Anderson, sports writer
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz face quick rematch with Portland
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 95
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27