Former boyfriend charged with stalking candidate for state office
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A candidate running for state office in House District 34 said she was the victim of unwanted phone calls and text messages by her ex-boyfriend, leading to a stalking charge filed against the man Wednesday in 3rd District Court.
Celina Milner declined to comment Wednesday, calling the complaint a personal matter.
The charging documents allege repeated contact by Hector Ramon Martinez, 32, who now faces a misdemeanor charge of stalking for actions between March and July.
On March 7, Martinez became upset when he saw Milner with her ex-husband at her gym, the documents state. "Ms. Milner stated that the defendant is texting her 2-4 times a day as well as leaving her numerous voicemail messages," the documents states.
Police contacted the defendant on April 4 and instructed him to cease all communications, noting criminal charges could be pursued if he didn't stop the contact.
Milner reported to police that between April 25 and June 2 the defendant attempted to contact her numerous times, driving by the candidate's residence, sending her flowers, and continuing with phone calls, suspected from a blocked number.
A detective contacted Martinez on July 27, and he admitted to repeatedly contacting Milner.
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Police: More than 100 Sanpete County homes...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Police say man persuaded Provo High boys to...
- Chopper pilot set to retire after 46 years,...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 38
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 22
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 14