Vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan flying to Provo to raise cash
Evan Vucci, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Rep. Paul Ryan, the GOP vice presidential nominee, will spend part of the day Wednesday in Utah County raising money for Mitt Romney's White House bid by appearing at events that cost as much as $25,000 to attend.
Ryan won't make any public appearances after his scheduled 1 p.m. arrival by plane in Provo and will only be available to the media for a brief photo opportunity on the airport tarmac before heading off to meet privately with GOP leaders and candidates.
Among those the Wisconsin congressman is expected to spend time with is 4th District congressional candidate Mia Love. Ryan last visited Utah in June, where he reportedly raised more than $65,000 for Love's effort to unseat Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah.
This time, Ryan is raising money for the GOP ticket, beginning with a $25,000-a-plate dinner at 5 p.m. followed by a VIP reception with a $2,500 price tag that includes a photo with the candidate.
Ryan will then speak at a general reception that costs $1,000 to attend, or $20 for students. Although the dinner was originally set to be held in a private home, all of the events are now at the Utah Valley Convention Center in Provo.
He is scheduled to leave Utah after the 7 p.m. reception.
Utah GOP Chairman Thomas Wright said he understands some Utahns might be frustrated at not having the opportunity to see Romney's choice for vice president without having to come up with a campaign contribution.
"The way they're going to win this campaign is by raising enough money to compete," Wright said, adding that if the Romney-Ryan ticket succeeds at the polls in November, Utahns can count on the GOP leaders returning to the Beehive State.
They need to "get it done and they'll be back to do public appearances with the people of Utah. They know Utah. They haven't forgotten us," Wright said, calling on Utahns to "be patient and give them the time to win this very competitive election."
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Vernal police investigating offensive...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Deputy's widow laments small room for...
- Traffic stop in Price leads to 3 arrests,...
- Head of Salt Lake Catholic diocese named...
- Report: Utah is 'one of the best examples' of...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 62
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 60
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 51
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 23
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 22
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 14