Republicans Herbert, Swallow dwarf Democatic opponents in fundraising
SALT LAKE CITY — Republican Gov. Gary Herbert and GOP Utah Attorney General candidate John Swallow have huge cash advantages over their Democratic opponents, according to the latest campaign finance reports.
Herbert raised about $320,000 in the latest reporting period from June 15 to Aug. 26, putting his year-to-date total at nearly $1.5 million. Large donors include the Utah Association of Realtors, Merit Medical and Island Park Companies, all of which gave $25,000.
The governor has spent $966,113 to date and has $498,015 on hand.
Democrat Peter Cooke took in $116,698 over the same two-month period, including $10,000 each from the Democratic Governor's Association and Salt Lake businessman Arthur Lipson.
So far this year, Cooke has spent $171,952, leaving him $94,162 in the bank.
In the attorney general's race, Swallow raised more than Herbert in the last reporting period and nearly matched the governor overall.
Swallow, the chief deputy attorney general, hauled in $555,175 between June 15 and Aug. 26. The bulk of the funds came from two sources — $250,000 from the State Republican Leadership Committee-Utah PAC and $120,000 from Utah's Prosperity Foundation.
Swallow, who beat Sean Reyes in June primary election, has spent $786,967 to date and has $447,316 in his campaign account.
Swallow's Democratic opponent, Weber County Attorney Dee Smith, raised only $22,078 the past two months. His contributions for the year total $46,854 and he has $9,136 on hand.
Libertarian Andrew McCullough has raised $2,743 this year and has $693 in his campaign fund.
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Woman armed with knife tried to rob Vernal...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- Police: 2 men arrested after stabbing at...
- Redford, Nolte, Offerman highlight Sundance...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Utah's congressional delegation... 71
- BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions... 63
- Romney says climate change presents a... 34
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 23
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18