SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah's College of Humanities is restructuring of its Native American outreach and language programs to better coordinate within the college and university-wide.
The critical outreach programs of the Center for American Indian Languages will be shifting to the American West Center. In addition, the Center for American Indian Languages' Native American language training and study programs will be moved to the new Language Center in the College of Humanities.
A primary purpose of the new Language Center, under the direction of language and literature professors Fernando Rubio and Jane Hacking, is to expand language training throughout the state. With the dissolving of the Center for American Indian Languages, the two centers will collaborate on projects that involve both language training and outreach.
The Center for American Indian Languages was established in 2004 with the appointment of Professor Lyle Campbell, an expert in endangered languages of the Americas. With Campbell's recent departure to the University of Hawaii, the College of Humanities chose to focus its efforts specifically on the needs of Utah's American Indian tribes.
"The College of Humanities has taken a positive and important step forward in assuring a sustained effort on the part of this university to closely partner with Utah's American Indian tribes to meet statewide language and outreach needs," said Michael Hardman, interim senior vice president for academic affairs.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- Bingham High students walk out over... 45
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 20
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18