SALT LAKE CITY — KSL-TV senior correspondent John Hollenhorst recently was inducted into the Emmy Silver Circle.
It’s an honor given by the Rocky Mountain Southwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. The Emmy Silver Circle recognizes individuals who have served in the industry for a minimum of 25 years, with the majority being in the Rocky Mountain region.
Hollenhorst has been reporting in Utah for more than two decades. During a recent banquet in his honor, Hollenhorst credited his colleagues for his success.
"All of what you see on the air is such a huge team effort that I always feel that I'm just one player among many," he said. "And if it comes out well, it's because a lot of people did their job well."
Hollenhorst began his broadcasting career at KSL in 1976 as an assignment desk assistant answering phones. In July of that year, he was put in front of the camera and reported from the Utah Republican Convention.
A few weeks later, he did his first interview on camera with movie star John Wayne, who was supposedly unavailable for interviews. Not long after that, he was promoted to full-time reporter.
Hollenhorst left Salt Lake City in 1980 and worked at WFAA-TV in Dallas for two years. But he couldn't stay away from the KSL family and returned to cover the nation's capital as assistant bureau chief for Bonneville International Corp.
Hollenhorst returned to Salt Lake City in 1986 and covered a variety of stories, from the execution of murderer Gary Gilmore, to Ted Bundy, to the 50th anniversary of D-Day in France, to the first senator in space, Utah's Jake Garn. He frequently covers environmental issues and science.
Hollenhorst has received numerous awards over the years, including the National Headliners Award for coverage of breaking news. The Society of Professional Journalists named him Utah's best TV reporter three years in a row.
KUTV's Rod Decker also was inducted into the Emmy Silver Circle. The awards gala will be held Oct. 6.
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Clearfield pediatrician arrested in child...
- Appeal of excommunicated LDS activist Kate...
- Man accused of shooting 72-year-old West...
- Utah families, researchers play role in...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 54
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 46
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Prison relocation process slows down 24
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated... 23