SALT LAKE CITY — KSL-TV senior correspondent John Hollenhorst recently was inducted into the Emmy Silver Circle.
It’s an honor given by the Rocky Mountain Southwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. The Emmy Silver Circle recognizes individuals who have served in the industry for a minimum of 25 years, with the majority being in the Rocky Mountain region.
Hollenhorst has been reporting in Utah for more than two decades. During a recent banquet in his honor, Hollenhorst credited his colleagues for his success.
"All of what you see on the air is such a huge team effort that I always feel that I'm just one player among many," he said. "And if it comes out well, it's because a lot of people did their job well."
Hollenhorst began his broadcasting career at KSL in 1976 as an assignment desk assistant answering phones. In July of that year, he was put in front of the camera and reported from the Utah Republican Convention.
A few weeks later, he did his first interview on camera with movie star John Wayne, who was supposedly unavailable for interviews. Not long after that, he was promoted to full-time reporter.
Hollenhorst left Salt Lake City in 1980 and worked at WFAA-TV in Dallas for two years. But he couldn't stay away from the KSL family and returned to cover the nation's capital as assistant bureau chief for Bonneville International Corp.
Hollenhorst returned to Salt Lake City in 1986 and covered a variety of stories, from the execution of murderer Gary Gilmore, to Ted Bundy, to the 50th anniversary of D-Day in France, to the first senator in space, Utah's Jake Garn. He frequently covers environmental issues and science.
Hollenhorst has received numerous awards over the years, including the National Headliners Award for coverage of breaking news. The Society of Professional Journalists named him Utah's best TV reporter three years in a row.
KUTV's Rod Decker also was inducted into the Emmy Silver Circle. The awards gala will be held Oct. 6.
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Southern Utah left wanting for water
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove garage;...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held on $6...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 94
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- Utah attorney general encourages... 57
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 34
- Police nab man suspected of gropings at... 31
- Will Josh Powell's family argue he... 28
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24