BYU basketball: Luke Worthington commits to the Cougars
MEQUON, Wis. — Luke Worthington committed to BYU coaches following a recent official visit to the school. Worthington, a 6-foot-9 forward/center prospect, has become very familiar with BYU and its basketball program through the years.
Worthington has family in the Provo area and subsequently spent some of his summers visiting while attending BYU camps. After a lot of evaluations, BYU came forward with an official offer to him this past July after seeing him up close at the AAU Peach Jam tournament.
The offer put BYU near or even right on top of his 33 scholarship offers.
"I've always liked BYU and have always liked visiting there, so when they offered I immediately had them near the top," Worthington said. "I had Davidson, Butler, Penn and Princeton at the top of my list with BYU, but decided BYU was the best option for me."
BYU all but confirmed itself as the best suitor for Worthington following an official visit to the school. Worthington had become very familiar with the school and program over the years, but was able to see things up close while spending time with coaches and players.
"I really like BYU's coaches and the players there," Worthington said. "I was able to spend a lot of time talking to players in the program and I felt like I really fit in well with them and what they do. I've always loved BYU's coaches, but being around them so much and being able to talk to them so much on my official visit really won me over."
Worthington is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and will opt to play four straight years for the program. He's become aware of the great players he'll be joining in signing with BYU in 2013, but feels he adds something unique.
"I'm a very physical player and I think I'm sort of different in that way," Worthington said. "Coach (Dave) Rose obviously likes his guys to run and I can do that, but I'm also someone who loves to bang down low, rebound and do a lot of the dirty work."
Worthington believes he'll be joining a program on the rise with its best days ahead.
"BYU has a lot of good things going for them right now and I want to be part of that," he said. "You look at the guys they have coming in and it's very exciting. It's the perfect situation for me and I'm very confident and excited about my decision."
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- Former BYU big man Brandon Davies to play for...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul Millsap...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 51
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 49
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 34
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline... 12
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter... 9