UVU volleyball: Wolverines to welcome Weber State for home opener Tuesday
OREM, Utah -- After having a rare weekend off, the Utah Valley University volleyball team will return to the court Tuesday at 7 p.m. when it welcomes in-state foe Weber State to the PE Building for its 2012 home opener.
"It will be a fun atmosphere against Weber State on Tuesday," UVU head coach Sam Atoa said. "Both of us will really want to win so it should be a great competition."
The match for the Wolverines (1-3) will be their first since falling to University of Utah in straight sets in Salt Lake City last Tuesday. It will also mark UVU's only home match until mid-October.
The contest will feature live stats and live video that can be accessed by visiting www.WolverineGreen.com and will also be televised live locally on UVU-TV and rebroadcast nationally on Fox College Sports Pacific on Sept. 6 at 8:30 p.m. MT. Kevin Kassel and Steve Vail will have the call.
The Wolverines began their season by defeating Cal State Northridge before falling to Evansville and Arizona at the Wildcat Classic on Aug. 24-25 in Tucson, Ariz. Junior setter Brookelyn Hall and freshman middle blocker Lauren Stringham were named to the classic's All-Tournament Team as well as being named the Great West Conference's Players of the Week on Aug. 27.
On the season junior outside hitter Lindsay Morrell leads the Wolverines with 36 kills and a 2.77 kill per set average. Hall is tops on the club in assists with 132 (9.43 assist/set average), while Stringham leads UVU in blocks with 14 (1.0 block/set average) and junior libero Patti Hatch leads in digs with 42 (3.0 dig/set average).
About Weber State Weber State, who was selected to finish 10th in the Big Sky Preseason Poll, went just 3-26 a year ago but is already 2-4 this season.
The Wildcats have wins over Portland and Alabama State and are coming off of 1-2 weekend at the Cougar Challenge in Pullman, Wash. There, WSU defeated the Lady Hornets in straight sets but fell to host Washington State in three and Seattle University in five.
WSU is led in kills by sophomore outside hitter Audrey Biggs with 51 (2.55 kill/set average) and in blocks by junior middle blocker Briana Wilms with 21 (1.05 block/set average).
Tuesday will mark the 14th all-time meeting between UVU and Weber State with the Wolverines leading the series 7-6. Utah Valley has won the last three meetings, including a 3-0 sweep in Orem in 2010.
Up Next for the Wolverines The Wolverines begin a 12-match stretch away from home by taking part in the Fresno State Classic this weekend. UVU will face UC Davis Friday at 6 p.m. before taking on Sacramento State Saturday at 11 a.m. and the host Bulldogs Saturday at 8 p.m.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine Athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- College football: BYU receives votes in...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- High school football: Deseret News 2014...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 134
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 101
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 98
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 73
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 73
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 32