Amy Donaldson: Lindon man sets world triathlon record for charity
Lawrence decided to try and break the half Ironman record in 2010 and did so easily. He spent 2011 planning 2012's goal — to break the record for the most Ironman distance triathlon races completed in a year. He broke the record Saturday with a race in his home country, Canada. But he plans to finish 30 races by the year's end in hopes of raising money for quietway.org.
"I got involved with In Our Own Quiet Way in 2009," he said. "They build dams and they have women's groups and feeding centers in Africa. I help with the dams. I race to raise money to donate to the charity, which deals with water issues and problems over there."
His effort, which he dubbed "Tri and give a dam," is chronicled in his blog. He accept donations through quietway.org, and said helping people gain access to water is a simple, but life changing experience.
"Water is life," he said. "We wake up and have hot water; we turn on the tap and drink the water. People around the world don't have that luxury. They need irrigation and drinking water just so they can survive."
He said he's met people who walk two hours one way for drinking water.
"It's a daily struggle for these people and it's something we don’t even think about," he said. "I am hoping to have an impact on people's lives, hoping to help them have better lives."
He said he's tried to view this year's goal as 30 Ironman triathlons, rather than just breaking the record of 20.
"Mentally, it's just the next race," he said of Saturday's record-breaking race. "Yes, it's a big landmark, a big sigh of relief. But we don't want to (just) break the record; we want to break the record and set a new standard."
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18