Amy Donaldson: Lindon man sets world triathlon record for charity
Lawrence decided to try and break the half Ironman record in 2010 and did so easily. He spent 2011 planning 2012's goal — to break the record for the most Ironman distance triathlon races completed in a year. He broke the record Saturday with a race in his home country, Canada. But he plans to finish 30 races by the year's end in hopes of raising money for quietway.org.
"I got involved with In Our Own Quiet Way in 2009," he said. "They build dams and they have women's groups and feeding centers in Africa. I help with the dams. I race to raise money to donate to the charity, which deals with water issues and problems over there."
His effort, which he dubbed "Tri and give a dam," is chronicled in his blog. He accept donations through quietway.org, and said helping people gain access to water is a simple, but life changing experience.
"Water is life," he said. "We wake up and have hot water; we turn on the tap and drink the water. People around the world don't have that luxury. They need irrigation and drinking water just so they can survive."
He said he's met people who walk two hours one way for drinking water.
"It's a daily struggle for these people and it's something we don’t even think about," he said. "I am hoping to have an impact on people's lives, hoping to help them have better lives."
He said he's tried to view this year's goal as 30 Ironman triathlons, rather than just breaking the record of 20.
"Mentally, it's just the next race," he said of Saturday's record-breaking race. "Yes, it's a big landmark, a big sigh of relief. But we don't want to (just) break the record; we want to break the record and set a new standard."
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 71
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 43
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21