PLAIN CITY, Weber County — A 13-year-old boy was hospitalized in critical condition after he and an adult relative were struck by lighting in Plain City Saturday.
A wildlife officer was on duty nearby when he witnessed the lightning strike them and jumped to perform CPR on the teen in the pouring rain and lightning.
"I'm just thankful that I was there and that I knew what to do," Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Sgt. Mitch Lane said.
A 25-year-old man and the teen were hunting near 3500 West and 4000 North by the Rail Trail trailhead when the lighting hit.
"Two people were literally running toward the parking lot trying to get out of the rain," Lane said. "There was a big flash and a big boom and those two individuals went straight to the ground."
Lane called 911 and began trying to revive the 13-year-old, who was in full cardiac arrest.
"The younger of two victims was not getting up," Lane said. "He was just lying there."
An ambulance responded to the emergency call because the weather was too severe for a helicopter. They transported the boy to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden, and from there he was airlifted to Primary Children's Medical Center.
The 13-year old was reportedly in critical condition and the 25-year old suffered only minor injuries.
The strike happened during a thunderstorm that swept through Plain City Saturday afternoon. The names of the two hunters had not been released.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 113
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- School leaders look for solutions to... 22
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12