PLAIN CITY, Weber County — A 13-year-old boy was hospitalized in critical condition after he and an adult relative were struck by lighting in Plain City Saturday.
A wildlife officer was on duty nearby when he witnessed the lightning strike them and jumped to perform CPR on the teen in the pouring rain and lightning.
"I'm just thankful that I was there and that I knew what to do," Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Sgt. Mitch Lane said.
A 25-year-old man and the teen were hunting near 3500 West and 4000 North by the Rail Trail trailhead when the lighting hit.
"Two people were literally running toward the parking lot trying to get out of the rain," Lane said. "There was a big flash and a big boom and those two individuals went straight to the ground."
Lane called 911 and began trying to revive the 13-year-old, who was in full cardiac arrest.
"The younger of two victims was not getting up," Lane said. "He was just lying there."
An ambulance responded to the emergency call because the weather was too severe for a helicopter. They transported the boy to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden, and from there he was airlifted to Primary Children's Medical Center.
The 13-year old was reportedly in critical condition and the 25-year old suffered only minor injuries.
The strike happened during a thunderstorm that swept through Plain City Saturday afternoon. The names of the two hunters had not been released.
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah
- Second student sues district over teacher's...
- Slain Brigham City mom remembered as loving,...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Clearfield man intentionally punched woman...
- The startling projections of a quake in Salt...
- LDS Church, other religions urge... 102
- Married lesbian couple sues Utah to be... 65
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 22
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 21
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20