WEST POINT — One man was arrested and another man hospitalized in serious but stable condition after he was shot in the chest at a party Saturday night.
Karl Myles, 26, was booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault and theft by receiving stolen property, according to Davis County sheriff's deputy Scott Harper. Investigators said they did not yet know why he allegedly shot the man.
The name of the victim, a man in his 30s, has not been released. He was transported to an area hospital and placed in a medically-induced coma but has since regained consciousness and spoken with investigators, Harper said.
Dispatchers received several calls shortly after 10 p.m. about gunshots near 412 N. 2000 West in West Point. Officials arrived at the scene and located a vehicle that appeared to have been involved in a collision in front of a home and a man stumbling near the sidewalk.
Deputies began giving aid to the stumbling man near the sidewalk and discovered that he had been shot in the chest and suffered blunt force trauma and possible grazing wounds to his face, according to the deputy.
Myles fled the home on foot after the shooting, but was later detained, Harper said.
After questioning three people inside the vehicle, investigators learned that they had been driving on 2000 West when a car backed out of the home's driveway and struck their car before fleeing the scene. The driver who fled was later identified as a friend of Myles who apparently drove away because he was nervous, Harper said. He was taken into custody.
Officials from several agencies were able to secure a perimeter around the home where the shooting occurred. A discarded handgun was found in the backyard. Several people were detained and transported to the sheriff's office for questioning.
The motive for the shooting has not been determined. Harper said there are unconfirmed reports that the victim is a member of an Ogden-based gang.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- After tragedy, couple uses genetic screening...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Pharmacist who stole pills in 2012 accused of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 92
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 11
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8
- Kennecott hopes project will change... 7
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of... 7