"I think they're disappointed when they can't get back to work," she said of her patients. "It's pretty typical of this community."
President Edwards said Sunday's efforts united the congregations of his LDS stake and showed the importance of applying Christian teachings by helping a community in need.
“It has been a uniting feeling to see the Saints rally around their neighbors, whether they are members or not,” he said. “It has strengthened their testimony and indebted them to their neighbors in need. It shows their willingness to share and take care of their brothers."
Lundgren said volunteers also came from other communities to help, including as far away as Provo. Some brought food, trucks, pumps and other equipment.
Homeowner Jeremy Vick got a call Saturday night telling him one of his windows had broken and his basement had flooded, but he didn't expect the amount of damage that the neighborhood received. When he was able to return home, around midnight, he said he was "blown away."
"When I got home I realized this was a catastrophe, a natural disaster beyond belief," he said.
The flood filled Vick's basement, ruining furniture, electronics and his children's toys. But more important, he said, his family and neighbors were safe.
"The thing that's wonderful is there's about 30 kids on this street and no one was hurt."
Officials believe the flooding may have been exacerbated by mountainside scarring from the Dump Fire in late June. Runoff from the flooding also closed Redwood Road for a brief period Saturday night.
The public has been asked to avoid the affected areas while cleanup efforts are under way.
The cleanup work stopped about 9 p.m. Sunday, but efforts were expected to resume at 7:30 a.m. Monday, Labor Day. The city sent out a tweet saying that volunteers and food would still be needed.
Contributing: Julian Reyes
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 62
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 33
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17