Westminster volleyball: Women drop two matches in California
IRVINE, Calif. – The Westminster College women's volleyball team suffered two losses at the Asics/Wyndham Hotel Labor Day Invitational on Saturday. Westminster began the day with a 3-1 loss to No. 24 Westmont (Calif.) before falling in three sets to No. 2 Concordia (Calif.) in the evening match.
Westmont (6-1) defeated the Griffins in four sets (25-14, 25-20, 21-25, 25-18) to drop Westminster to 7-3 on the season. The Griffins managed just 34 kills and hit .156, while Westmont hit .179 with 46 kills. The Griffins had a 3-2 advantage in blocks while also picking up six service aces and 61 digs.
Alexis Aalona paced the Griffin offense with nine kills while hitting .286. Ashley Marchant and Alyse Horton added six kills apiece with Marchant chipping in 14 digs. Emily Atkinson recorded a double-double with 30 assists and 11 digs, and Kyndall Kordakis picked up 13 digs.
Concordia (12-0) won the match in three sets (25-14, 25-12, 25-13) to hand the Griffins a third straight loss and drop them to 7-4 on the year. The Eagles finished with a 40-20 advantage in kills and had nine service aces to just four from Westminster. The Griffins hit .033 in the match with 37 digs and five blocks.
Marchant led the way with five kills, and Horton added four kills. Aalona with three kills and Andrea Christensen with two were the other Griffins to record multiple kills. Atkinson had 11 assists, and Kordakis recorded 22 digs.
Westminster will return to the court on Sept. 8 when they begin Frontier Conference play against Montana Western in the Behnken Field House at 2 p.m.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48