West Valley animal shelter shakes off stigma, emerges as success story

Published: Saturday, Sept. 1 2012 7:00 p.m. MDT

"I think it bodes really well for all of the animals in West Valley and Taylorsville that we've seen so much success so quickly," Gonce said, "and it can only get better from here."

Best Friends defines a no-kill shelter as any facility where at least 90 percent of the animals that go into the shelter leave there alive. The remaining 10 percent may not survive for a variety of reasons, including health problems or temperament concerns.

"It's a place where in no case is it necessary to put animals to sleep because they always find homes for them if they're healthy," Castle said.

There are 11 such shelters in Utah, and another 11 on the cusp of reaching that goal, he said.

"The public has started to demand that their agencies do this," Castle said. "There is without question a trend toward the agencies feeling more of an obligation to achieve (no-kill status)."

Andrea gets credit for getting the ball rolling in West Valley City. Her story shined a spotlight on the shelter and rattled the cages of animal welfare advocates throughout the valley.

Coombs was among the more vocal critics of the shelter in the aftermath of Andrea's ordeal. She spent two months nursing Andrea back to health, all the while wondering how many others animals had gone through something similar.

Through a public records request, Coombs obtained emails and a few written notes that indicated there had been problems with the gas chamber or its operation on at least nine occasions since the shelter's opening in September 2009.

An internal investigation by shelter officials in January concluded that the problems were caused by employee error, not equipment malfunction.

That explanation satisfied Coombs, and actions by city and shelter officials in the following months proved to her that West Valley City Animal Services was committed to shaking its stigma as an uncaring facility.

Those were difficult months for shelter and its employees, said Davis, operations director.

"I knew I had a dedicated and loving staff," he said, "and they were being ridiculed."

Shelter officials knew they were opening themselves up to criticism when they made Andrea's story public. It was the shelter who called the news media, not the other way around.

Despite the backlash, city and shelter officials say it was the right thing to do. After all she'd been through, Andrea deserved a home — and she got one.

Davis got a few things, too. His repeated requests for increased staffing at the shelter to hire an adoptions specialist was OK'd and has been in place since May.

In addition, West Valley City and Taylorsville jointly agreed to a $90,000, two-year contract with Best Friends to provide expertise and implement programs to increase adoptions and reduce euthanasia at the shelter.

"It helped us move in the direction we always wanted to go," Davis said. "It speeded up the process by about five years, probably."

"I think it's worked out well for the community," Coombs added. "Only good has come of it."

Today, Andrea continues to be a healthy, happy member of Karilyn Brown's family. She shows no signs of the trauma she went through nearly a year ago.

"It took her about three months to really adjust to everything," Brown said. "Now, she just wants love all the time. She started to purr; she never did that before. She's doing really good."

Brown also has been monitoring the progress made at the West Valley City animal shelter.

"It used to be a death sentence for (animals) there," she said.

Now, she speaks highly of the shelter and its employees. And she's proud of the role Andrea played in the turnaround.

"It brings me to tears when I see all the changes that have been made," Brown said. "It's amazing. I tell Andrea she's a hero."

E-mail: jpage@desnews.com

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere