Westminster men's soccer defeats Doane for best start since 2008
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men's soccer team claimed a 3-0 win over Doane (Neb.) Saturday afternoon at Dumke Field. The win is the third straight to start the year for the Griffins and matches the best start to a season since the 2008 campaign.
Westminster opened the scoring in the 33rd minute when Anthony Alcox found a loose ball during a scramble in front of the net and fired it past the keeper for his first goal of the season. That 1-0 advantage would continue through the remainder of the opening half.
The Griffins lead would reach 2-0 less than two minutes into the second half when Ryan Smith took a throw-in from Wilson Larson and slid the ball into the net from just inside the penalty area. Larson would then take a cross from Smith in the 55th minute and slip his shot into the net for a 3-0 lead.
Westminster held a 12-4 advantage in shots during the game and put five of those attempts on goal. Doane (0-2) held a 4-3 edge in corner kicks. But the game was more physical than just shots as the teams combined for 34 fouls and seven cautions.
Smith and Larson each attempted two shots in the game, and they were matched for team honors by Ryan Holmes and Jace Maxfield. No Griffin put more than one shot on goal. Damir Sabanovic recorded his second-consecutive shutout in goal to earn the win.
Westminster will wrap up a four-game home stand Monday when the men's team faces Great Falls (Mont.) in the Frontier Conference opener for each team. The game has been moved to a 2:30 p.m. start time at Dumke Field.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19