SALT LAKE CITY – The No. 22nd-ranked Westminster College women's soccer team won for the third time in as many tries with a 3-1 win over Doane (Neb.) Saturday afternoon at Dumke Field.
The game got off to a slow start as both teams tried to figure each other out. Then to slow things down more, in the 23rd minute, the game was delayed for 61 minutes due to lightning. Just six minutes after the delay, Westminster (3-0) would strike for the 1-0 lead. The goal came after a scramble in front of the net saw the ball land on the foot of Rylei North who fired into the net for the lead.
"We definitely weren't as smooth as we have been," head coach Tony LeBlanc said. "All in all I thought we did well despite missing some key players with injuries."
North wasn't done yet, scoring the next two Griffin goals as well for the hat trick. It was the first hat trick since Maggie Nielsen and Jennifer Pirente each posted one against College of the Southwest in 2007.
North's second goal came in the 32nd minute as she took a cross from Justine Jones and put it into the net. She finished the Griffin scoring in the 62nd minute when she blasted a shot into the top corner of the net from 20 yards away.
Doane (1-1) would tally its lone goal on the 63rd minute as Sara Cushing finished a shot on a breakaway set up by Morgan Karloff. It was the first goal allowed by the Griffins this year, snapping a stretch of 242 consecutive minutes.
Westminster held a 24-6 advantage in shots in the contest. The Griffins put 15 shots on goal and took seven corner kicks. North led the way with seven shots attempted and put them all on goal in 57 minutes off the bench. Margo Hickman fired five shots, and Jones had four. Jamie Wilkinson earned the win in goal and made one save in the process.
The Griffins will conclude a four-game home stand Monday when they face Great Falls in the Frontier Conference opener for each team. The game has been moved up to a noon kick off at Dumke Field.
Griffins remain perfect with 3-1 win
Westminster women's soccer head coach Tony LeBlanc talks about the Griffins 3-1 win over Doane Saturday.
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 64
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22