USU soccer: Utah State soccer looks to rebound at Utah Valley Sunday
After dropping its first match of the season Friday against Northern Colorado, the Utah State soccer team looks to right the ship on Sunday against in-state rival Utah Valley.
After the short, quick stop at home, the Aggies open a three-match road swing starting Sunday, Sept. 2, at Utah Valley.
The Aggies and the Wolverines have met four times with the Aggies holding a 3-1 advantage. The last time the two teams met was in 2010 when Utah State defeated Utah Valley, 4-0. In that match, senior defender Natalie Norris scored two of the four goals.
The Wolverines enter the matchup with a 1-2-0 record after going 1-1 at the OHANA Hotels & Suites No Ka Oi hosted by former WAC foe, Hawai`i. On Sunday, UH defeated UVU in overtime on a penalty kick, 2-1. Lexi Robison leads the team with two goals and one assist for five points. Jessica Duffin has seen the bulk of time in goal, allowing five goals for a 1.70 GAA.
For their efforts in the Hawai'i tournament last week, Robison and Lexi Dunn were named Great West Conference Players of the Week. Robison finished the tournament with two goals and an assist, while Dunn also tallied an assist amidst her defensive responsibilities.
Utah State is led this season by two goals each from junior midfielder Jennifer Flynn and junior forward Mari Miyashiro. Both players have four points and two game-winning goals this season.
USU will then head to Portland, Ore., to play in the Portland State Viking Classic, facing Eastern Washington on Friday, Sept. 7, and then Portland State on Sunday, Sept. 9. The Aggies then return home to host Washington on Friday, Sept. 13.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 65
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44