LM Otero, Associated Press
PROVO — West Nile virus has been detected in mosquitoes in Utah County, health department officials announced Thursday.
Bob Mower, mosquito abatement division director for the Utah County Heath Department, said mosquito traps in the central county area collected carriers of West Nile.
"(That) means it is more important than ever for individuals to protect themselves and their families," Mower said.
Though other states have reported high levels of the disease, there have not been many reports this year in Utah, he said. But that doesn't mean Utahns can be complacent, Mower said.
"We haven't seen as many mosquitoes, but those that we have are of the species that carry West Nile," he said.
Utah County mosquito abatement crews have been spraying to reduce the mosquito numbers, but the key to preventing spread of the virus is personal vigilance, Mower said.
The heath department recommends that people avoid outdoor activities, such as gardening, at dusk through dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
Those who are outside during the periods when mosquitoes are most active should cover up by wearing long-sleeve shirts, pants, shoes and socks.
Mosquito repellents with DEET also should be used. Standing water in tires or similar water-holding containers — which serve as mosquito breeding grounds — should be eliminated.
For more information about the West Nile virus or Utah County's mosquito abatement efforts, visit www.utahcountyhealth.org or call 801-851-7637.
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- House panel to discuss bill on ending tax on...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- House panel to discuss bill on ending... 9