Mormons in the 2012 Paralympics, Days 1 & 2: Jason Smyth sets a world record
LONDON — Jason Smyth, of Northern Ireland, set a new world record of 10.54 seconds for the men's 100-meter sprint Friday during the qualifying round for T13 athletes.
Smyth, of the Belfast Northern Ireland Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who is legally blind, is scheduled to race in today's finals for the event at the 2012 Paralympic Games in London.
Here are updates of other Mormons from the first two days of competition.
Swimming: U.S. swimmer Brickelle Bro, 15, was fifth Friday in the 400-meter freestyle.
Bro, of the Castle Rock Colorado Stake, was born without feet and competes in the S8 division.
She is scheduled to compete in the 50-meter freestyle this weekend.
Wheelchair basketball: The USA men's wheelchair basketball team, including team co-captain Paul Shulte, lost 59-50 to Turkey on Thursday and beat the team from Italy 77-51 on Friday during the preliminary rounds. Shulte, of the Bradenton Florida Stake, scored three points in the game against Turkey and two against Italy.
The 33-year-old was on the 2000 team in Sydney and also competed in the 2008 Games.
The teams are divided into two groups of six and plays all of the teams in their group. The top four teams from each group go on to the elimination rounds and a chance for the gold.
This weekend, the USA team will play South Africa and Australia.
Archery: Eric Bennett, 38, placed 11th in the men's individual recurve standing ranking round and will compete this weekend in the elimination rounds.
On Saturday, Bennett, of the Surprise Arizona Stake, will face off with Mario Esposito of Italy.
Bennett lost his right arm above the elbow in a car accident when he was 15.
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Russians' views on religion are changing, and...
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 31
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 30
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 24
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 19
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 18
- Russians' views on religion are... 12
- 5 faith facts about Jim Gilmore:... 7