4 UHP troopers 'savagely' beat Ogden man, attorney says
"I took my medication," he said. "It was the wrong thing to do at the time. I realize that now."
Sykes reiterated that May had made a bad decision, but said it still didn't warrant the officers' actions.
"It wasn't very smart of Todd to do what he did here. That brought the right of police to use force, but you can't use excessive force," Sykes said, smacking the table with his hand to emphasize the last four words. "You can't put a chokehold on somebody. That's excessive. It could kill him. ... You don't dog pile like it's a football game because he swallowed something."
May said watching the video is difficult and causes him to relive the pain of the incident. He said he is "a little bit bitter" toward the officers involved.
"I wasn't expecting anything like that," May said. "They wouldn't quit Tasing me, wouldn't quit beating me. I actually thought for a minute there that they were going to kill me."
The lawsuit asks for at least $250,000 in damages.
"I'm hoping for justice for Todd May," Sykes said. "No one should have to undergo a beating like this. ... These officers need to pay for what they did."
UHP spokesman Dwayne Baird said Friday he couldn't comment on the case because it is still being investigated by the Weber County Attorney's Office. The officers involved have not been placed on leave.
"We've been reviewing this since the day after (it happened) because not only of the situation you see there, but because we had troopers that were hurt," Baird said. "We had injuries to this individual, this man, Todd May, and we review those procedures and we have processes in place that we do that with."
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9