4 UHP troopers 'savagely' beat Ogden man, attorney says
"I took my medication," he said. "It was the wrong thing to do at the time. I realize that now."
Sykes reiterated that May had made a bad decision, but said it still didn't warrant the officers' actions.
"It wasn't very smart of Todd to do what he did here. That brought the right of police to use force, but you can't use excessive force," Sykes said, smacking the table with his hand to emphasize the last four words. "You can't put a chokehold on somebody. That's excessive. It could kill him. ... You don't dog pile like it's a football game because he swallowed something."
May said watching the video is difficult and causes him to relive the pain of the incident. He said he is "a little bit bitter" toward the officers involved.
"I wasn't expecting anything like that," May said. "They wouldn't quit Tasing me, wouldn't quit beating me. I actually thought for a minute there that they were going to kill me."
The lawsuit asks for at least $250,000 in damages.
"I'm hoping for justice for Todd May," Sykes said. "No one should have to undergo a beating like this. ... These officers need to pay for what they did."
UHP spokesman Dwayne Baird said Friday he couldn't comment on the case because it is still being investigated by the Weber County Attorney's Office. The officers involved have not been placed on leave.
"We've been reviewing this since the day after (it happened) because not only of the situation you see there, but because we had troopers that were hurt," Baird said. "We had injuries to this individual, this man, Todd May, and we review those procedures and we have processes in place that we do that with."
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry for...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- 6-year-old recounts terror of man breaking...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- Barricaded man considered shooting police...
- Roosevelt couple fears partially-dressed man...
- Roosevelt officer justified in shooting death...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 86
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 30
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 27
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 19
- Educators, parents see four-year high... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Argument, break-up threats preceded... 12