Police deploy Taser after man allegedly assaults officer at Twilight concert
SALT LAKE CITY — Police deployed a Taser on a 20-year-old man Thursday during a Twilight concert after he allegedly struck a police officer.
An officer was responding to a fight at Pioneer Park just before 10 p.m. when Cyle Vankomen stepped into his path, Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan said. It was not clear if Vankomen was involved in the initial fight or knew someone who was.
"As police were trying to get to the fight, he just came up and began to block the path of officers trying to get to the fight," McGowan said. "It's not clear what was motivating him."
The officer repeatedly identified himself and asked Vankomen to move, McGowan said. When a second officer arrived to help, Vankomen allegedly struck that officer before fleeing.
"The officer he hit was able to chase him down, but the arrested person continued to resist, continued to fight, continued to lash out," McGowan said.
The officer deployed a Taser and was able to arrest the man. Both Vankomen and the officer were treated for minor injuries, McGowan said.
Vankomen was booked for investigation of assault on a police officer, public intoxication and consumption of alcohol by a minor.
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 300
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 107
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 43
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36