Police deploy Taser after man allegedly assaults officer at Twilight concert
SALT LAKE CITY — Police deployed a Taser on a 20-year-old man Thursday during a Twilight concert after he allegedly struck a police officer.
An officer was responding to a fight at Pioneer Park just before 10 p.m. when Cyle Vankomen stepped into his path, Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan said. It was not clear if Vankomen was involved in the initial fight or knew someone who was.
"As police were trying to get to the fight, he just came up and began to block the path of officers trying to get to the fight," McGowan said. "It's not clear what was motivating him."
The officer repeatedly identified himself and asked Vankomen to move, McGowan said. When a second officer arrived to help, Vankomen allegedly struck that officer before fleeing.
"The officer he hit was able to chase him down, but the arrested person continued to resist, continued to fight, continued to lash out," McGowan said.
The officer deployed a Taser and was able to arrest the man. Both Vankomen and the officer were treated for minor injuries, McGowan said.
Vankomen was booked for investigation of assault on a police officer, public intoxication and consumption of alcohol by a minor.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- U.S. approaching 'sudden' phase of...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 123
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 41
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 29
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20