Police deploy Taser after man allegedly assaults officer at Twilight concert
SALT LAKE CITY — Police deployed a Taser on a 20-year-old man Thursday during a Twilight concert after he allegedly struck a police officer.
An officer was responding to a fight at Pioneer Park just before 10 p.m. when Cyle Vankomen stepped into his path, Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan said. It was not clear if Vankomen was involved in the initial fight or knew someone who was.
"As police were trying to get to the fight, he just came up and began to block the path of officers trying to get to the fight," McGowan said. "It's not clear what was motivating him."
The officer repeatedly identified himself and asked Vankomen to move, McGowan said. When a second officer arrived to help, Vankomen allegedly struck that officer before fleeing.
"The officer he hit was able to chase him down, but the arrested person continued to resist, continued to fight, continued to lash out," McGowan said.
The officer deployed a Taser and was able to arrest the man. Both Vankomen and the officer were treated for minor injuries, McGowan said.
Vankomen was booked for investigation of assault on a police officer, public intoxication and consumption of alcohol by a minor.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22