Police deploy Taser after man allegedly assaults officer at Twilight concert
SALT LAKE CITY — Police deployed a Taser on a 20-year-old man Thursday during a Twilight concert after he allegedly struck a police officer.
An officer was responding to a fight at Pioneer Park just before 10 p.m. when Cyle Vankomen stepped into his path, Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan said. It was not clear if Vankomen was involved in the initial fight or knew someone who was.
"As police were trying to get to the fight, he just came up and began to block the path of officers trying to get to the fight," McGowan said. "It's not clear what was motivating him."
The officer repeatedly identified himself and asked Vankomen to move, McGowan said. When a second officer arrived to help, Vankomen allegedly struck that officer before fleeing.
"The officer he hit was able to chase him down, but the arrested person continued to resist, continued to fight, continued to lash out," McGowan said.
The officer deployed a Taser and was able to arrest the man. Both Vankomen and the officer were treated for minor injuries, McGowan said.
Vankomen was booked for investigation of assault on a police officer, public intoxication and consumption of alcohol by a minor.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate hold monument meeting...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Appellate court upholds water rights... 8