Police deploy Taser after man allegedly assaults officer at Twilight concert
SALT LAKE CITY — Police deployed a Taser on a 20-year-old man Thursday during a Twilight concert after he allegedly struck a police officer.
An officer was responding to a fight at Pioneer Park just before 10 p.m. when Cyle Vankomen stepped into his path, Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan said. It was not clear if Vankomen was involved in the initial fight or knew someone who was.
"As police were trying to get to the fight, he just came up and began to block the path of officers trying to get to the fight," McGowan said. "It's not clear what was motivating him."
The officer repeatedly identified himself and asked Vankomen to move, McGowan said. When a second officer arrived to help, Vankomen allegedly struck that officer before fleeing.
"The officer he hit was able to chase him down, but the arrested person continued to resist, continued to fight, continued to lash out," McGowan said.
The officer deployed a Taser and was able to arrest the man. Both Vankomen and the officer were treated for minor injuries, McGowan said.
Vankomen was booked for investigation of assault on a police officer, public intoxication and consumption of alcohol by a minor.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10