Michael Cavanaugh performs Billy Joel classics with Utah Symphony
Billy Joel's hand-picked Broadway star, Michael Cavanaugh, will be performing “The Songs of Billy Joel and More” with the Utah Symphony and Principal Pops Conductor Jerry Steichen Sept. 7-8, 8 p.m. at the Abravanel Hall.
Cavanaugh has been nominated for both a Grammy Award and Tony Award for his role in the musical “Movin' Out” which featured Billy Joel's music. He is what Billboard Magazine called "the new voice of the American Rock and Roll Songbook." Cavanaugh first began performing with symphony orchestras in 2008 when he performed with the Indianapolis Symphony, and continued to perform in other cities such as the Boston, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. He also debuted his second symphony show entitled: "Michael Cavanaugh: The Songs of Elton John and More" in 2010. He continues to tour both symphony productions.
The Songs of Billy Joel and More features Cavanaugh as pianist and vocalist. He will be performing "Piano Man," "Uptown Girl," "Just The Way You Are" and several other rock favorites. The Utah Symphony will then add new layers and enhance these memorable tunes.
Tickets range from $29 to $85 and can be purchased online, by calling (801)355-2787, or in person at the Abravanel Hall ticket office. Season ticket holders and those who would like group discounts can call (801)533-6683. Ticket prices increase $5 when purchased on the day of performance.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She attends Brigham Young University and is studying Communications. Petersen enjoys playing tennis and riding her bike to Utah Lake.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 57
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2