Michael Cavanaugh performs Billy Joel classics with Utah Symphony
Billy Joel's hand-picked Broadway star, Michael Cavanaugh, will be performing “The Songs of Billy Joel and More” with the Utah Symphony and Principal Pops Conductor Jerry Steichen Sept. 7-8, 8 p.m. at the Abravanel Hall.
Cavanaugh has been nominated for both a Grammy Award and Tony Award for his role in the musical “Movin' Out” which featured Billy Joel's music. He is what Billboard Magazine called "the new voice of the American Rock and Roll Songbook." Cavanaugh first began performing with symphony orchestras in 2008 when he performed with the Indianapolis Symphony, and continued to perform in other cities such as the Boston, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. He also debuted his second symphony show entitled: "Michael Cavanaugh: The Songs of Elton John and More" in 2010. He continues to tour both symphony productions.
The Songs of Billy Joel and More features Cavanaugh as pianist and vocalist. He will be performing "Piano Man," "Uptown Girl," "Just The Way You Are" and several other rock favorites. The Utah Symphony will then add new layers and enhance these memorable tunes.
Tickets range from $29 to $85 and can be purchased online, by calling (801)355-2787, or in person at the Abravanel Hall ticket office. Season ticket holders and those who would like group discounts can call (801)533-6683. Ticket prices increase $5 when purchased on the day of performance.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She attends Brigham Young University and is studying Communications. Petersen enjoys playing tennis and riding her bike to Utah Lake.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- The Clean Cut: Military father surprises...
- 42 ways to make your kids feel absolutely loved
- 10 compliments your kids need to hear
- Stuart Edge, Alex Boye, other Utah artists...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- The economy has begun to recover, but... 24
- Things that changed my view of marriage... 24
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 15
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 12
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 6
- Woman's happiness most important to... 5