Michael Cavanaugh performs Billy Joel classics with Utah Symphony
Billy Joel's hand-picked Broadway star, Michael Cavanaugh, will be performing “The Songs of Billy Joel and More” with the Utah Symphony and Principal Pops Conductor Jerry Steichen Sept. 7-8, 8 p.m. at the Abravanel Hall.
Cavanaugh has been nominated for both a Grammy Award and Tony Award for his role in the musical “Movin' Out” which featured Billy Joel's music. He is what Billboard Magazine called "the new voice of the American Rock and Roll Songbook." Cavanaugh first began performing with symphony orchestras in 2008 when he performed with the Indianapolis Symphony, and continued to perform in other cities such as the Boston, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. He also debuted his second symphony show entitled: "Michael Cavanaugh: The Songs of Elton John and More" in 2010. He continues to tour both symphony productions.
The Songs of Billy Joel and More features Cavanaugh as pianist and vocalist. He will be performing "Piano Man," "Uptown Girl," "Just The Way You Are" and several other rock favorites. The Utah Symphony will then add new layers and enhance these memorable tunes.
Tickets range from $29 to $85 and can be purchased online, by calling (801)355-2787, or in person at the Abravanel Hall ticket office. Season ticket holders and those who would like group discounts can call (801)533-6683. Ticket prices increase $5 when purchased on the day of performance.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She attends Brigham Young University and is studying Communications. Petersen enjoys playing tennis and riding her bike to Utah Lake.
- Health care system can make dying difficult...
- An 'unlikely father of five': Comedian Jim...
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but social...
- 20 things I will not regret doing with my kids
- Clean Cut: '20 things we should say more often'
- Disney's 'Frozen' bridges generation gap for...
- The Piano Guys release new video featuring...
- 7 young musicians to perform with Utah...
- TV is reshaping what it means to be a... 10
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but... 6
- Health care system can make dying... 5
- Walkable communities can help old and... 2
- The challenge of using media to tell... 2
- 'Frozen' Disney World ride plans upset... 2
- How to talk to kids about terrorism 1
- An unusually high number of PG-rated... 1