BYU football: Blue Cougars lead Washington St. 24-6 at halftime
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — The 2012 football season is off to a good start for the Cougars.
Yes, the ones from Provo.
The BYU Cougars have a 24-6 halftime lead over Mike Leach's visiting Washington State Cougars tonight at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
Starting quarterback Riley Nelson has thrown for 178 yards on 16-for-24 passing with two touchdown tosses to lead the home Cougs to the big first-half advantage.
Nelson helped put BYU up 7-0 in the first quarter with a a 7-yard TD pass to Skyler Ridley. The Cougars' senior playmaker then added a second scoring strike — a 25-yard hook-up with Kaneakua Friel — late in the second quarter.
That was Friel's second touchdown catch, but the first from BYU's starting QB. Freshman QB Taysom Hill took a snap on a fourth-down situation early in the second quarter and turned his first collegiate pass into a 17-yard touchdown to the junior tight end.
Receiver Cody Hoffman got a quad contusion in the first half after hauling in three receptions for 46 yards. He will not return for the remainder of the game.
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23