BYU football: Blue Cougars lead Washington St. 24-6 at halftime
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — The 2012 football season is off to a good start for the Cougars.
Yes, the ones from Provo.
The BYU Cougars have a 24-6 halftime lead over Mike Leach's visiting Washington State Cougars tonight at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
Starting quarterback Riley Nelson has thrown for 178 yards on 16-for-24 passing with two touchdown tosses to lead the home Cougs to the big first-half advantage.
Nelson helped put BYU up 7-0 in the first quarter with a a 7-yard TD pass to Skyler Ridley. The Cougars' senior playmaker then added a second scoring strike — a 25-yard hook-up with Kaneakua Friel — late in the second quarter.
That was Friel's second touchdown catch, but the first from BYU's starting QB. Freshman QB Taysom Hill took a snap on a fourth-down situation early in the second quarter and turned his first collegiate pass into a 17-yard touchdown to the junior tight end.
Receiver Cody Hoffman got a quad contusion in the first half after hauling in three receptions for 46 yards. He will not return for the remainder of the game.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 152
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 31
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27