BYU football: Blue Cougars lead Washington St. 24-6 at halftime
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — The 2012 football season is off to a good start for the Cougars.
Yes, the ones from Provo.
The BYU Cougars have a 24-6 halftime lead over Mike Leach's visiting Washington State Cougars tonight at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
Starting quarterback Riley Nelson has thrown for 178 yards on 16-for-24 passing with two touchdown tosses to lead the home Cougs to the big first-half advantage.
Nelson helped put BYU up 7-0 in the first quarter with a a 7-yard TD pass to Skyler Ridley. The Cougars' senior playmaker then added a second scoring strike — a 25-yard hook-up with Kaneakua Friel — late in the second quarter.
That was Friel's second touchdown catch, but the first from BYU's starting QB. Freshman QB Taysom Hill took a snap on a fourth-down situation early in the second quarter and turned his first collegiate pass into a 17-yard touchdown to the junior tight end.
Receiver Cody Hoffman got a quad contusion in the first half after hauling in three receptions for 46 yards. He will not return for the remainder of the game.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State all...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th in...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Utah Jazz: 'Hungry' Trey Burke keeping busy...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 91
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 49
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 48
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33