BYU football: Blue Cougars lead Washington St. 24-6 at halftime
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — The 2012 football season is off to a good start for the Cougars.
Yes, the ones from Provo.
The BYU Cougars have a 24-6 halftime lead over Mike Leach's visiting Washington State Cougars tonight at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
Starting quarterback Riley Nelson has thrown for 178 yards on 16-for-24 passing with two touchdown tosses to lead the home Cougs to the big first-half advantage.
Nelson helped put BYU up 7-0 in the first quarter with a a 7-yard TD pass to Skyler Ridley. The Cougars' senior playmaker then added a second scoring strike — a 25-yard hook-up with Kaneakua Friel — late in the second quarter.
That was Friel's second touchdown catch, but the first from BYU's starting QB. Freshman QB Taysom Hill took a snap on a fourth-down situation early in the second quarter and turned his first collegiate pass into a 17-yard touchdown to the junior tight end.
Receiver Cody Hoffman got a quad contusion in the first half after hauling in three receptions for 46 yards. He will not return for the remainder of the game.
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- BYU's Jaylen Reyes provides invaluable...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 89
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29