Two dead after plane crash near Nephi Municipal Airport
NEPHI — Two men are dead after they crashed their plane in an alfalfa field west of Nephi Thursday afternoon.
The plane went down about 4:30 p.m.,west of highway 132 and north of Nephi Municipal Airport. The identities of the men were not released, pending notification of family.
Reid Jarret, a resident of Nephi, witnessed the crash. He said by the time he could run to the plane, it was already engulfed in flames.
"Really, really, hard gust of wind was blowing right then and a storm was coming in and the plane just went up and turned and came straight and hit," he said. "I am sure nobody survived past the point of impact.
"When you see a plane fall out of the skyline that really leaves an impression on you. The poor guys."
It was not known if the plane was taking off or landing. But eyewitnesses said the plane, a small single engine Alarus 235, was trying to return to the airport to land when it crashed in the field, Sheriff Alden Orme of the Juab County Sheriff's Office said.
"It's a tragic accident, very sad. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families," Orme said.
There was a thunderstorm in the area, but it is not known if it contributed to the crash.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 24
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15