OGDEN — Police are investigating whether 50 backpacks meant for low-income students were stolen or if the items' disappearance is a misunderstanding.
Michael Vaughan, provost and vice president of academic affairs at Weber State University, organized the donation for Catholic Community Services' annual Backpack Bonanza! Drive. But when Vaughan went to pick up the 50 backpacks from the WSU campus store a few weeks ago, they were gone.
Police said a man picked up the backpacks meant for charity on Aug. 8. Employees even helped him load them into his car, police said.
But officials with Catholic Community Services for Northern Utah say they don't recognize the man caught on surveillance video.
"If somebody did steal those backpacks, that would be despicable," Vaughan said.
WSU spokesman John Kowalewski said it's possible there was a miscommunication between the man who picked up the backpacks and the bookstore employees.
"There is a possibility that this person was representing another local nonprofit and, at this point, doesn't realize or doesn't know that the backpacks they picked up were actually intended for charity," Kowalewski said.
The campus store donated 50 backpacks to Catholic Community Services to make up for the loss. The program provided more than 2,400 children with backpacks and school supplies for the new school year.
Police are hoping to talk to the man who picked up the backpacks. They're asking anyone with information about the missing backpacks or the man in the surveillance video to call campus police at 801-626-6460.
- Young Magna girl struggles to find her voice
- BLM investigating 18 burro deaths after roundup
- Two more charged in fatal 'robbery gone bad'
- State administrative services department boss...
- Utahns compete, succeed on 'American Ninja...
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- Photo gallery: Demonstration shows a parked...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 28
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 19