You've just spent a long day at work. You're looking forward to a nice, relaxing evening at home. When you get home, your youngest child gently reminds you it's Monday — and your turn to teach family home evening!
We can all relate to the age-old problem of not enough time in the day to balance everything we need to, especially when it comes to getting the whole family together for family home evening.
Here are some ideas from "Dad's Night: Fantastic Family Nights in 5 Minutes or Less," by Trina Boice (Cedar Fort, $9.99), to consider when preparing your next last-minute lesson that might help bring the spirit back into your Monday evenings:
1. Keep it simple
Contrary to popular belief, not all teaching opportunities need to be Broadway productions. Some of the best experiences need just a little thought and a touch of creativity.
2. Use what you have
Effective lessons do not need to cost a fortune. You can usually find everything you need lying around your house or at the grocery store.
3. Find ways for everyone to participate and have fun
Most importantly, have fun! Even if everything goes horribly wrong with your carefully planned night, if you have fun together, it will strengthen your family and make memories that last forever.
Branden Hurst is a proud father of four who grew up outside of Utah - and the LDS faith. He has worked in the IT industry for over 14 years, but in his free time enjoys sharing in wholesome activities with his family and working on genealogy.
- Pope embraces Al-Azhar imam in sign of...
- Church slaying families accept pursuit of...
- Music and the Spoken Word: Of happiness and...
- 11 Jewish congregations selected for...
- Brigham Young birthday celebration June 1
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Mormon Mentions: Lindsey Stirling records...
- LDS missionary who returned home early... 51
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod?... 22
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- Defending the Faith: Book of Mormon... 20
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering... 17
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11
- BYU's Ty Detmer discusses prayer,... 7
- Church slaying families accept pursuit... 5