Tom Smart, Deseret News
OREM — The 1600 North interchange will be closed for up to two weeks, beginning as soon as Tuesday, as crews continue the I-15 expansion project in Utah County.
Drivers are encouraged to use Pleasant Grove Boulevard and 800 North as alternate routes during the closures.
"Closing the 1600 North interchange will allow us to complete the next phase of construction more quickly, and it will reduce delays in the long term as we work to finish the entire project by December," said Mindy Nelson, spokeswoman for the Utah Department of Transportation.
All on- and off-ramps at 1600 North are scheduled to remain closed, as well as 1600 North under I-15. Construction crews will be repaving 1600 North with new asphalt designed to last longer than the existing pavement and provide a smoother ride for drivers.
Following the two-week full interchange closure, crews are scheduled to close the south half of the interchange for up to two weeks to complete construction on the southbound on-ramp and northbound off-ramp.
Motorists can stay informed about these and other I-15 CORE construction activities by signing up for weekly email updates on UDOT's website, following the project on Facebook and Twitter and receiving text updates by texting “i15core” to 53535.
Construction is on schedule for completion in December 2012.
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6
- Burger King Japan's latest meal is the new black
- Riverton Hospital expansion aims to meet...
- Phone lines are open: Customers camp out for...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Labor commissioner appoints new Utah OSHA...
- Financial interventions don't work
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Salt Lake City is now 'Ski City USA' in... 5
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 4
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs 2