Tom Smart, Deseret News
OREM — The 1600 North interchange will be closed for up to two weeks, beginning as soon as Tuesday, as crews continue the I-15 expansion project in Utah County.
Drivers are encouraged to use Pleasant Grove Boulevard and 800 North as alternate routes during the closures.
"Closing the 1600 North interchange will allow us to complete the next phase of construction more quickly, and it will reduce delays in the long term as we work to finish the entire project by December," said Mindy Nelson, spokeswoman for the Utah Department of Transportation.
All on- and off-ramps at 1600 North are scheduled to remain closed, as well as 1600 North under I-15. Construction crews will be repaving 1600 North with new asphalt designed to last longer than the existing pavement and provide a smoother ride for drivers.
Following the two-week full interchange closure, crews are scheduled to close the south half of the interchange for up to two weeks to complete construction on the southbound on-ramp and northbound off-ramp.
Motorists can stay informed about these and other I-15 CORE construction activities by signing up for weekly email updates on UDOT's website, following the project on Facebook and Twitter and receiving text updates by texting “i15core” to 53535.
Construction is on schedule for completion in December 2012.
- Becker: 'Salt Lake City is well-positioned...
- Small Utah town violated law by asking about...
- Retiring overseas is more than a matter of money
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a large...
- More Americans spending at least half their...
- Study: Tourism significant to rural Utah economy
- 'Avengers' + 'Star Wars' = big year for Disney
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 23
- More Americans spending at least half... 17
- Money doesn't necessarily equate to job... 6
- Proposed trade legislation could boost... 6
- Women innovators leading by example 6
- Energy-producing states blast Obama... 4
- High-tech sensors help kids keep eye on... 1
- Los Angeles sues Wells Fargo, alleging... 1