Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah - Utah Valley University wrestling head coach Greg Williams released his 2012-13 schedule Thursday. The schedule features six home meets, including duals against Arizona State, Stanford and Wyoming, as well as a full Western Wrestling Conference slate.
"We're really excited to have a few of the teams that we have coming in this year so our fans can see that level of wrestling," Williams said. "It will be great to have Wyoming, Arizona State and Stanford all here at home."
UVU will be home for the entire month of January this season and will begin its home season by welcoming conference rival Wyoming to Orem on Jan. 4. The next day the Wolverines will host the annual UVU Open. Following the open, Utah Valley will take on Arizona State on Jan. 18, Northern Colorado on Jan. 26 and the Stanford Cardinal on Feb. 1. Both the ASU and Stanford duals will be televised live locally on UVU-TV and rebroadcast on Fox College Sports.
After tuning up with the UVU Intrasquad Dual on Nov. 1, the Wolverines will officially kick-off the season at the Cowboy Open in Laramie, Wyo., on Nov. 3. The next week the Wolverines will travel to North Carolina to take on Campbell and Bloomsburg at the Campbell University Duals on Nov. 10 before traveling to Raleigh the next day to take part in the NC State Wolfpack Open.
Utah Valley will then head to Las Vegas for the two-day Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational on Nov. 30-Dec. 1 before heading to the Midlands Championships in Evanston, Ill., Dec. 29-30.
"All of the tournaments that we're going to will have some very good competition," Williams said. "They will provide us an opportunity to be exposed to quality opponents who will help prepare us for the conference championships and nationals. We feel like the schedule is exactly what we need to get this team ready for the postseason."
After its five-meet homestand, UVU will travel to the Dakotas to face South Dakota State in Brookings on Feb. 6 and North Dakota State in Fargo on Feb. 8. The Wolverines will then take on their third Pac-12 opponent of the year on Feb. 13, when they travel north to Boise State. The Wolverines will then host their final home contest of the season when the Air Force Academy comes to town for a WWC showdown on Feb. 16. UVU will conclude its regular season by taking on fellow WWC foe Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa, on Feb. 23.
Utah Valley will head back to Laramie, Wyo., for the WWC Championships/NCAA West Regional on March 9. There, 10 Wolverines will each try to earn a berth to the 2013 NCAA Championships that will be held in Des Moines, Iowa, March 21-23 at the Wells Fargo Arena.
In 2014, the Wolverines are slated to host the WWC Championships/NCAA West Regional.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28