FrontRunner accident confirmed as attempted suicide
SUNSET — Officials are on the scene of an accident involving a pedestrian and a FrontRunner train.
A 44-year-old female was hit and critically injured in an apparent suicide attempt, Utah Transit Authority spokesman Gerry Carpenter said. The accident occurred around 9:30 a.m. at an intersection between the railroad tracks and 2400 North, according to Sunset Police Chief Ken Eborn.
The woman was awake and responsive when emergency personnel arrived on scene, Eborn said.
"She indicated to them that it was intentional, that it was an attempted suicide," he said. "She's alive. She's in critical condition, but she's probably going to make it."
Eborn said this is not the first time there has been an incident like this in Sunset, but that the area is fairly clearly marked as private property.
"Where this happened, there would be absolutely no reason for a person to be there," he said. "Knowing what her frame of mind was, she probably disregarded all of that."
Carpenter said the incident caused "significant delays." A bus bridge was set up to transport passengers to Roy and Ogden. It was estimated FrontRunner operations would be down for about 90 minutes.
Eborn said these incidences are difficult on everyone, including passengers and train conductors.
"It's pretty traumatic," he said.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- 2 children critically injured in wrong-way...
- Ex-A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff due in...
- Police arrest 3 suspected of vandalizing LDS...
- Traditional marriage supporters want... 84
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 38
- Lawmaker pledges to run bill changing... 36
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 32
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21