FrontRunner accident confirmed as attempted suicide
SUNSET — Officials are on the scene of an accident involving a pedestrian and a FrontRunner train.
A 44-year-old female was hit and critically injured in an apparent suicide attempt, Utah Transit Authority spokesman Gerry Carpenter said. The accident occurred around 9:30 a.m. at an intersection between the railroad tracks and 2400 North, according to Sunset Police Chief Ken Eborn.
The woman was awake and responsive when emergency personnel arrived on scene, Eborn said.
"She indicated to them that it was intentional, that it was an attempted suicide," he said. "She's alive. She's in critical condition, but she's probably going to make it."
Eborn said this is not the first time there has been an incident like this in Sunset, but that the area is fairly clearly marked as private property.
"Where this happened, there would be absolutely no reason for a person to be there," he said. "Knowing what her frame of mind was, she probably disregarded all of that."
Carpenter said the incident caused "significant delays." A bus bridge was set up to transport passengers to Roy and Ogden. It was estimated FrontRunner operations would be down for about 90 minutes.
Eborn said these incidences are difficult on everyone, including passengers and train conductors.
"It's pretty traumatic," he said.
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- Man fighting for custody of daughter may get...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- 13 of the best 'No Shave November' mustaches...
- Police open homicide investigation after man...
- S.L. Comic Con founders report progress in...
- 5 Utah E. coli cases linked to Costco chicken...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 43
- U. professor, students call on SCOTUS... 29
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 28
- Anatomy of a trip: The Utah-Switzerland... 22
- Former Gov. Leavitt warns action needed... 19
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Longtime Salt Lake County Councilman... 15
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15