Blue roundup: Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps enjoying time out of the spotlight
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News archives
"Jake Heaps once commanded rooms the way only star quarterbacks can. Since his days at Skyline High School, his existence centered on the number one, a ranking given to him by recruiting sites," writes Jayson Jenks of the Issaquah Press. "He wasn’t just Jake Heaps; he was Jake Heaps, the former top-ranked quarterback prospect. Now, at the University of Kansas, Heaps has no number attached to his name. In fact, this season will be lived mostly in the shadows. Heaps will sit out this year after transferring from Brigham Young University. Just two weeks into fall practice, Heaps’ reps dropped significantly. His toil will come mostly in the weight room. He will watch Dayne Crist, himself a former top recruit, lead Kansas under new coach Charlie Weis. He will live the life of an understudy. Here’s the thing: That’s just fine with Heaps."
Listen to the first installment of coach Bronco Mendenhall's radio show on KSL that aired Tuesday night.
The Chicago Tribune offers a preseason glance at BYU and the other three independent teams in college football.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21