Blue roundup: Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps enjoying time out of the spotlight
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News archives
"Jake Heaps once commanded rooms the way only star quarterbacks can. Since his days at Skyline High School, his existence centered on the number one, a ranking given to him by recruiting sites," writes Jayson Jenks of the Issaquah Press. "He wasn’t just Jake Heaps; he was Jake Heaps, the former top-ranked quarterback prospect. Now, at the University of Kansas, Heaps has no number attached to his name. In fact, this season will be lived mostly in the shadows. Heaps will sit out this year after transferring from Brigham Young University. Just two weeks into fall practice, Heaps’ reps dropped significantly. His toil will come mostly in the weight room. He will watch Dayne Crist, himself a former top recruit, lead Kansas under new coach Charlie Weis. He will live the life of an understudy. Here’s the thing: That’s just fine with Heaps."
Listen to the first installment of coach Bronco Mendenhall's radio show on KSL that aired Tuesday night.
The Chicago Tribune offers a preseason glance at BYU and the other three independent teams in college football.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34