Blue roundup: Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps enjoying time out of the spotlight
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News archives
"Jake Heaps once commanded rooms the way only star quarterbacks can. Since his days at Skyline High School, his existence centered on the number one, a ranking given to him by recruiting sites," writes Jayson Jenks of the Issaquah Press. "He wasn’t just Jake Heaps; he was Jake Heaps, the former top-ranked quarterback prospect. Now, at the University of Kansas, Heaps has no number attached to his name. In fact, this season will be lived mostly in the shadows. Heaps will sit out this year after transferring from Brigham Young University. Just two weeks into fall practice, Heaps’ reps dropped significantly. His toil will come mostly in the weight room. He will watch Dayne Crist, himself a former top recruit, lead Kansas under new coach Charlie Weis. He will live the life of an understudy. Here’s the thing: That’s just fine with Heaps."
Listen to the first installment of coach Bronco Mendenhall's radio show on KSL that aired Tuesday night.
The Chicago Tribune offers a preseason glance at BYU and the other three independent teams in college football.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26