Blue roundup: Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps enjoying time out of the spotlight
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News archives
"Jake Heaps once commanded rooms the way only star quarterbacks can. Since his days at Skyline High School, his existence centered on the number one, a ranking given to him by recruiting sites," writes Jayson Jenks of the Issaquah Press. "He wasn’t just Jake Heaps; he was Jake Heaps, the former top-ranked quarterback prospect. Now, at the University of Kansas, Heaps has no number attached to his name. In fact, this season will be lived mostly in the shadows. Heaps will sit out this year after transferring from Brigham Young University. Just two weeks into fall practice, Heaps’ reps dropped significantly. His toil will come mostly in the weight room. He will watch Dayne Crist, himself a former top recruit, lead Kansas under new coach Charlie Weis. He will live the life of an understudy. Here’s the thing: That’s just fine with Heaps."
Listen to the first installment of coach Bronco Mendenhall's radio show on KSL that aired Tuesday night.
The Chicago Tribune offers a preseason glance at BYU and the other three independent teams in college football.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22