She said the damage to her vehicle was mostly just a hassle. It was also a rude welcome to the area for the 18-year-old who had moved there less than a week ago.
"I just think it's kind of funny," she said. "Like, what could possibly be going through their minds to break through all these cars?"
Wall said the answer to that question is anyone's guess.
"It's hard to get into the minds of these criminals and figure out why they do what they do and sometimes we never know why," the detective said. "Maybe they didn't find the items they thought were valuable or the things they were looking for."
Police have to investigate these crimes based on the offenses themselves and the evidence available. Still, the watchfulness of those in the neighborhood can go a long way, the detective said.
"One of the greatest things is to have your neighbors involved in what is going on, have your neighbors keep a vigilant eye out for people," he said. "If you see things that are suspicious, if you see people around, see a vehicle that doesn't look right, that doesn't fit, if it doesn't feel right, take note of that. Talk to your neighbors. Call law enforcement and see if it rises to that level."
None of Kerry Lehtinen's cars were targeted, but he wondered when the vandals struck. He didn't fall asleep until 3 a.m. and, even then, his windows were open. He said he got a notice not long ago advising those in the neighborhood to be alert, but none of that changed the way he saw his home of 13 years.
"Fifteen years ago, it was kids with sling shots," he said. "I think part of it is that there are so many cars on the street right now."
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Man accused in wife's death loved her, 'had...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 17
- Young adults are faced with risky... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12