Smashed Yalecrest windows prompt warnings to car owners
She said the damage to her vehicle was mostly just a hassle. It was also a rude welcome to the area for the 18-year-old who had moved there less than a week ago.
"I just think it's kind of funny," she said. "Like, what could possibly be going through their minds to break through all these cars?"
Wall said the answer to that question is anyone's guess.
"It's hard to get into the minds of these criminals and figure out why they do what they do and sometimes we never know why," the detective said. "Maybe they didn't find the items they thought were valuable or the things they were looking for."
Police have to investigate these crimes based on the offenses themselves and the evidence available. Still, the watchfulness of those in the neighborhood can go a long way, the detective said.
"One of the greatest things is to have your neighbors involved in what is going on, have your neighbors keep a vigilant eye out for people," he said. "If you see things that are suspicious, if you see people around, see a vehicle that doesn't look right, that doesn't fit, if it doesn't feel right, take note of that. Talk to your neighbors. Call law enforcement and see if it rises to that level."
None of Kerry Lehtinen's cars were targeted, but he wondered when the vandals struck. He didn't fall asleep until 3 a.m. and, even then, his windows were open. He said he got a notice not long ago advising those in the neighborhood to be alert, but none of that changed the way he saw his home of 13 years.
"Fifteen years ago, it was kids with sling shots," he said. "I think part of it is that there are so many cars on the street right now."
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 156
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 60
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 45
- Police release names of officers... 31
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 29
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18