Smashed Yalecrest windows prompt warnings to car owners
She said the damage to her vehicle was mostly just a hassle. It was also a rude welcome to the area for the 18-year-old who had moved there less than a week ago.
"I just think it's kind of funny," she said. "Like, what could possibly be going through their minds to break through all these cars?"
Wall said the answer to that question is anyone's guess.
"It's hard to get into the minds of these criminals and figure out why they do what they do and sometimes we never know why," the detective said. "Maybe they didn't find the items they thought were valuable or the things they were looking for."
Police have to investigate these crimes based on the offenses themselves and the evidence available. Still, the watchfulness of those in the neighborhood can go a long way, the detective said.
"One of the greatest things is to have your neighbors involved in what is going on, have your neighbors keep a vigilant eye out for people," he said. "If you see things that are suspicious, if you see people around, see a vehicle that doesn't look right, that doesn't fit, if it doesn't feel right, take note of that. Talk to your neighbors. Call law enforcement and see if it rises to that level."
None of Kerry Lehtinen's cars were targeted, but he wondered when the vandals struck. He didn't fall asleep until 3 a.m. and, even then, his windows were open. He said he got a notice not long ago advising those in the neighborhood to be alert, but none of that changed the way he saw his home of 13 years.
"Fifteen years ago, it was kids with sling shots," he said. "I think part of it is that there are so many cars on the street right now."
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16