University of Utah asking students, faculty and staff to bike to campus on Thursday
SALT LAKE CITY — University of Utah officials are asking students, faculty and staff to bike to campus on Thursday, Aug. 30, as part of the university's Bike to the U Day.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the university's weekly farmers market on Tanner Plaza will have a bicycle theme. Students can receive bicycle repair and commuting advice from the Campus Bike Shop, bike locks from Campus police and T-shirts, ice cream, bike lights and helmets from campus Commuter Services, while supplies last.
At 11 a.m., City Councilman Luke Garrott, University of Utah sustainability director Myron Willson and campus bicycle coordinator Heidi Goedhart will offer remarks about the benefits of biking.
"It's important for bicycle commuters to know that bicycle-related services are available on campus and that the university supports bicycle commuting for students, staff and faculty," Goedhart said in a prepared statement. "
The event coincides with the University of Utah's first home football game of the season against Northern Colorado. Officials said cycling will help individuals better navigate the crowds on campus.
A new bicycle valet service will also be offered on the south side of Rice-Eccles Stadium. The free service will be managed by the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective.
"The stadium seats 46,000 people yet has just 12 parking spaces for bikes," Goedhart said in a prepared statement. "In an effort to reduce the vehicle parking demands, we are encouraging game attendees to use the valet service to efficiently and conveniently park their bikes."
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11