University of Utah asking students, faculty and staff to bike to campus on Thursday
SALT LAKE CITY — University of Utah officials are asking students, faculty and staff to bike to campus on Thursday, Aug. 30, as part of the university's Bike to the U Day.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the university's weekly farmers market on Tanner Plaza will have a bicycle theme. Students can receive bicycle repair and commuting advice from the Campus Bike Shop, bike locks from Campus police and T-shirts, ice cream, bike lights and helmets from campus Commuter Services, while supplies last.
At 11 a.m., City Councilman Luke Garrott, University of Utah sustainability director Myron Willson and campus bicycle coordinator Heidi Goedhart will offer remarks about the benefits of biking.
"It's important for bicycle commuters to know that bicycle-related services are available on campus and that the university supports bicycle commuting for students, staff and faculty," Goedhart said in a prepared statement. "
The event coincides with the University of Utah's first home football game of the season against Northern Colorado. Officials said cycling will help individuals better navigate the crowds on campus.
A new bicycle valet service will also be offered on the south side of Rice-Eccles Stadium. The free service will be managed by the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective.
"The stadium seats 46,000 people yet has just 12 parking spaces for bikes," Goedhart said in a prepared statement. "In an effort to reduce the vehicle parking demands, we are encouraging game attendees to use the valet service to efficiently and conveniently park their bikes."
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 26
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14