University of Utah asking students, faculty and staff to bike to campus on Thursday
SALT LAKE CITY — University of Utah officials are asking students, faculty and staff to bike to campus on Thursday, Aug. 30, as part of the university's Bike to the U Day.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the university's weekly farmers market on Tanner Plaza will have a bicycle theme. Students can receive bicycle repair and commuting advice from the Campus Bike Shop, bike locks from Campus police and T-shirts, ice cream, bike lights and helmets from campus Commuter Services, while supplies last.
At 11 a.m., City Councilman Luke Garrott, University of Utah sustainability director Myron Willson and campus bicycle coordinator Heidi Goedhart will offer remarks about the benefits of biking.
"It's important for bicycle commuters to know that bicycle-related services are available on campus and that the university supports bicycle commuting for students, staff and faculty," Goedhart said in a prepared statement. "
The event coincides with the University of Utah's first home football game of the season against Northern Colorado. Officials said cycling will help individuals better navigate the crowds on campus.
A new bicycle valet service will also be offered on the south side of Rice-Eccles Stadium. The free service will be managed by the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective.
"The stadium seats 46,000 people yet has just 12 parking spaces for bikes," Goedhart said in a prepared statement. "In an effort to reduce the vehicle parking demands, we are encouraging game attendees to use the valet service to efficiently and conveniently park their bikes."
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Take a breather: 5 memorable ways to pamper...
- 10 of the most unusual laws in Utah
- Man found shot to death in Cottonwood Heights...
- Splash pad in N. Salt Lake’s Legacy...
- Panel seeks submissions for West Bountiful...
- Mapleton to discuss proposed road fee on June 15
- GOED board OKs grants to help 8 rural businesses
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 113
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 25
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 18
- Provo forum to explore roles of family,... 18
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 11
- Medical marijuana debate focuses on... 10
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8