University of Utah asking students, faculty and staff to bike to campus on Thursday
SALT LAKE CITY — University of Utah officials are asking students, faculty and staff to bike to campus on Thursday, Aug. 30, as part of the university's Bike to the U Day.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the university's weekly farmers market on Tanner Plaza will have a bicycle theme. Students can receive bicycle repair and commuting advice from the Campus Bike Shop, bike locks from Campus police and T-shirts, ice cream, bike lights and helmets from campus Commuter Services, while supplies last.
At 11 a.m., City Councilman Luke Garrott, University of Utah sustainability director Myron Willson and campus bicycle coordinator Heidi Goedhart will offer remarks about the benefits of biking.
"It's important for bicycle commuters to know that bicycle-related services are available on campus and that the university supports bicycle commuting for students, staff and faculty," Goedhart said in a prepared statement. "
The event coincides with the University of Utah's first home football game of the season against Northern Colorado. Officials said cycling will help individuals better navigate the crowds on campus.
A new bicycle valet service will also be offered on the south side of Rice-Eccles Stadium. The free service will be managed by the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective.
"The stadium seats 46,000 people yet has just 12 parking spaces for bikes," Goedhart said in a prepared statement. "In an effort to reduce the vehicle parking demands, we are encouraging game attendees to use the valet service to efficiently and conveniently park their bikes."
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19