LAYTON — A 14-year-old girl is calling her older brother a hero for pulling her to safety after a truck crashed through a wall of her home and pinned her under debris.
Austin Haynie was headed downstairs to say goodnight to his younger sister, Eliza, around 10:45 p.m. Monday when a utility truck plowed through the wall of their home at 1622 N. 160 West.
The teen girl was sitting at a computer desk, surfing the Web, when the 20-year-old driver of the truck lost control and crashed into the house, police said.
"I remember sitting here and everything just coming at me," Eliza Haynie said. "It was loud, too, like an explosion, and everything just came at my face and knocked me down."
Her 18-year-old brother heard the crash and rushed into the room.
"She just looked up and said, 'What happened?'" Austin Haynie said. "(She) saw the car and started freaking out. She said, 'I'm stuck. I'm stuck. I can't move."
Eliza was pinned under the desk, he said, and the desk was under the truck. There was also fluid leaking from the truck, Austin Haynie said, and he was worried that his sister might be in further danger.
"I was like, 'OK, you need to listen. We need to get you out,'" he recalled. "I said, 'OK, this is going to hurt,' and I picked up the desk, opened the window and threw her out."
Eliza was taken to the hospital with a concussion but no broken bones. She was released Tuesday morning.
Police said the driver of the truck told them he had fallen asleep at the wheel. Police also found drug paraphernalia in the truck, though the driver showed no signs of being impaired.
"I remember him coming up to me and saying he was sorry," Eliza Haynie said.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Pilot sentenced for groping teenage girl on...
- Republican, Democratic political insiders say...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 47
- Republican, Democratic political... 45
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 24
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19