LAYTON — A 14-year-old girl is calling her older brother a hero for pulling her to safety after a truck crashed through a wall of her home and pinned her under debris.
Austin Haynie was headed downstairs to say goodnight to his younger sister, Eliza, around 10:45 p.m. Monday when a utility truck plowed through the wall of their home at 1622 N. 160 West.
The teen girl was sitting at a computer desk, surfing the Web, when the 20-year-old driver of the truck lost control and crashed into the house, police said.
"I remember sitting here and everything just coming at me," Eliza Haynie said. "It was loud, too, like an explosion, and everything just came at my face and knocked me down."
Her 18-year-old brother heard the crash and rushed into the room.
"She just looked up and said, 'What happened?'" Austin Haynie said. "(She) saw the car and started freaking out. She said, 'I'm stuck. I'm stuck. I can't move."
Eliza was pinned under the desk, he said, and the desk was under the truck. There was also fluid leaking from the truck, Austin Haynie said, and he was worried that his sister might be in further danger.
"I was like, 'OK, you need to listen. We need to get you out,'" he recalled. "I said, 'OK, this is going to hurt,' and I picked up the desk, opened the window and threw her out."
Eliza was taken to the hospital with a concussion but no broken bones. She was released Tuesday morning.
Police said the driver of the truck told them he had fallen asleep at the wheel. Police also found drug paraphernalia in the truck, though the driver showed no signs of being impaired.
"I remember him coming up to me and saying he was sorry," Eliza Haynie said.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12