Unattended candles blamed for 4-alarm apartment fire
SALT LAKE CITY — Burning candles left unattended on a second story deck are being blamed as the cause of a destructive four-alarm fire at a Salt Lake City apartment complex over the weekend.
Six units at 1621 W. Snow Queen Place (1675 South) were gutted by the Sunday morning fire and another 10 suffered smoke and water damage.
Eight tenants were treated for minor injuries. One person was injured by breaking a window with his bare hands to escape. Another jumped from a second story balcony.
Investigators on Tuesday announced they had determined that burning candles likely ignited other flammable items on the deck.
The fire was determined to be accidental so the tenant who left the burning candles will not face charges and the case is closed, said Salt Lake fire spokesman Jasen Asay.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14