Rep. Chaffetz speech gets big cheer at RNC — from Utahns
"He said, 'Does this make you uncomfortable?' I said, 'No.' And I said, 'Is that a Glock?' And he said, 'Yes.' 'A 26?' And he said, 'Yes.' 'A 9mm?' He said, 'Yes.' And I said, 'Great gun for a woman. That's exactly what I carry.' That's why this is home."
A few delegates gasped and others chuckled before all of them clapped loudly.
Love talked of her perspective of the state's pioneer heritage.
"When I was figuring out what I wanted to do with my life and where I wanted to live, I found home in Utah," she said. "I found people who believe in the same things I believe in. I found people who would express themselves freely and be OK with doing that."
Busch Gardens or Chaffetz?
Utah delegates had a choice Tuesday between a trip to the Busch Gardens amusement park or getting to the convention hall in time to hear Chaffetz, the only other Utahn with a speaking slot.
Wright told the delegates that Chaffetz's speech would be "the only thing you're really going to miss unless you're a parliamentary procedures guru."
The conflict is a result of convention organizers canceling Monday's schedule in the wake of Tropical Storm Isaac. Chaffetz, a key surrogate for Romney's presidential campaign, originally was scheduled to speak Monday.
Transportation troubles for delegates
The Utah delegates who wanted to be in their seats when the convention started at 2 p.m. Tuesday ended up being a little late — and it was Romney's fault.
The presidential candidate's arrival in Tampa came shortly before the bus was supposed to show up at the airport hotel where the Utahns are staying, and traffic between the airport and the Tampa Bay Times Forum all but stopped for his motorcade.
Wright said he saw the motorcade whiz by the delegation hotel while watching for the bus, which finally arrived nearly two hours late. Most of the delegates shrugged off the delay, and none complained about Romney's earlier than anticipated appearance in Tampa.
- Watch live at the Democratic National Convention
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Farewell to VCRs: Japanese maker to shelve...
- At least 15 killed, dozens injured in knifing...
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their...
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 73
- Hillary Clinton promises steady hand in... 56
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 43
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 41
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34