Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
TAMPA, Fla. — Tuesday marks the unofficial opening of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., with some of the most important events of the week taking place today.
Here are the highlights:
The formal roll-call vote to formally nominate Mitt Romney and his running mate Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., will take place this afternoon in Tampa. The outcome is a foregone conclusion, with Romney winning the GOP nomination. But supporters of Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, could try to disrupt the vote to make statements in support of their candidate.
Speakers today include Mia Love, Utah’s Republican congressional candidate in the 4th District, who speaks at 5:36 p.m. MST, and Rep. Jason Chaffetz, who has a 1:40 p.m. MST slot. Also speaking today, House Speaker John A. Boehner, R-Ohio; former senator Rick Santorum, R-Pa., who challenged Romney for the nomination; and former congressman Artur Davis, D-Ala., who seconded Obama’s nomination at the Democratic convention in 2008 but who now is opposing the president. Also speaking are Govs. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Nikki Haley of South Carolina; John Kasich of Ohio, Robert F. McDonnell of Virginia and Mary Fallin of Oklahoma.
Network television coverage begins at 8 p.m. and will feature a speech by Ann Romney, Mitt Romney’s wife, who will tell the personal side of her husband’s story.
Keynote speaker Tuesday is New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.
— Deseret News Staff
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- 'Star Trek: Into Darkness' does $70.6M but...
- 2 men arrested in killing over iPad in Las Vegas
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records, Benghazi...
- Measles surges in UK years after flawed...
- Associated Press CEO calls records seizure...
- White House insists Obama was not involved in...
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 21
- Journalists push back against Obama... 21
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal,... 12
- President Obama walking a familiar path... 11
- Tea party looks to take advantage of... 11