Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
TAMPA, Fla. — Tuesday marks the unofficial opening of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., with some of the most important events of the week taking place today.
Here are the highlights:
The formal roll-call vote to formally nominate Mitt Romney and his running mate Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., will take place this afternoon in Tampa. The outcome is a foregone conclusion, with Romney winning the GOP nomination. But supporters of Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, could try to disrupt the vote to make statements in support of their candidate.
Speakers today include Mia Love, Utah’s Republican congressional candidate in the 4th District, who speaks at 5:36 p.m. MST, and Rep. Jason Chaffetz, who has a 1:40 p.m. MST slot. Also speaking today, House Speaker John A. Boehner, R-Ohio; former senator Rick Santorum, R-Pa., who challenged Romney for the nomination; and former congressman Artur Davis, D-Ala., who seconded Obama’s nomination at the Democratic convention in 2008 but who now is opposing the president. Also speaking are Govs. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Nikki Haley of South Carolina; John Kasich of Ohio, Robert F. McDonnell of Virginia and Mary Fallin of Oklahoma.
Network television coverage begins at 8 p.m. and will feature a speech by Ann Romney, Mitt Romney’s wife, who will tell the personal side of her husband’s story.
Keynote speaker Tuesday is New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.
— Deseret News Staff
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay...
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 106
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 29
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 27
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 24