Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
TAMPA, Fla. — Tuesday marks the unofficial opening of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., with some of the most important events of the week taking place today.
Here are the highlights:
The formal roll-call vote to formally nominate Mitt Romney and his running mate Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., will take place this afternoon in Tampa. The outcome is a foregone conclusion, with Romney winning the GOP nomination. But supporters of Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, could try to disrupt the vote to make statements in support of their candidate.
Speakers today include Mia Love, Utah’s Republican congressional candidate in the 4th District, who speaks at 5:36 p.m. MST, and Rep. Jason Chaffetz, who has a 1:40 p.m. MST slot. Also speaking today, House Speaker John A. Boehner, R-Ohio; former senator Rick Santorum, R-Pa., who challenged Romney for the nomination; and former congressman Artur Davis, D-Ala., who seconded Obama’s nomination at the Democratic convention in 2008 but who now is opposing the president. Also speaking are Govs. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Nikki Haley of South Carolina; John Kasich of Ohio, Robert F. McDonnell of Virginia and Mary Fallin of Oklahoma.
Network television coverage begins at 8 p.m. and will feature a speech by Ann Romney, Mitt Romney’s wife, who will tell the personal side of her husband’s story.
Keynote speaker Tuesday is New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.
— Deseret News Staff
- Malaysian plane mystery: Stolen passports, 5...
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian plane;...
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's...
- Supreme Court sides with Wyoming landowner;...
- Senate Democrats choose election strategy:...
- How can jet disappear? In the ocean, it's not...
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 22
- Early auditions for 2016 Republican... 22
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 19
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for... 14
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians 9
- Survey: Uninsured rate drops from 17.1... 9
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian... 9