DRAPER — A father who initially told police Friday his baby nearly drowned in a bathtub was arrested after the boy died on Sunday.
Mijail Alejandro Russell-Torres, 24, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated murder for allegedly shaking the boy violently.
Russell-Torres called 911 Friday afternoon, claiming his 1-month-old son had drowned while he was bathing him in his Draper home near 13000 S. Pinnacle Way. "He was calm when he told me the story and showed no emotion," a responding officer wrote in a jail report.
The baby was not breathing when he was transported by medical helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center.
During an investigation, doctors at the hospital told Draper police that the baby was showing signs of shaken-baby syndrome, including a head injury, the report states. Doctors said the baby showed no signs of drowning.
When asked about the doctors' findings, Russell-Torres admitted holding the baby and violently shaking him forward and backward, according to the report. He allegedly told police he realized he hurt the baby after it started showing other signs of illness, which is when he gave the baby a bath. It wasn't until the baby turned cold and stopped breathing that Russell-Torres called 911, the report states.
Shaken-baby syndrome is a term used to describe the trauma experienced by an infant after being severely shaken. There is rarely any visible injuries, but spinal-cord injuries, permanent brain damage and death are often the result of the crying-induced child abuse.
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Woman stole van, but returned after finding...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 44
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 28
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18