Orem Center Street interchange reopens after major revamp
Ravell Call, Deseret News
OREM — Just in time for the mad rush of students returning to school in Utah County, Center Street is now open.
The interchange had been closed since July while construction crews rebuilt it as a single-point urban interchange, similar to 800 North and University Parkway.
The revamp of the major thoroughfare was part of the Utah Department of Transportation's Utah County I-15 Corridor Expansion, which is now about 90 percent complete.
The full project — expected to be finished by December — covers a 24-mile stretch of I-15 from Lehi to Spanish Fork. Crews have added two lanes in each direction on the freeway in addition to major improvements on numerous interchanges along the roadway.
The state originally expected to pay more than $1.7 billion for the project, but the final tab is pegged at just under $1.5 billion.
In the most recent rebuild, UDOT repaved the ramps at Center Street and under the interchange with 30-year asphalt, said I-15 CORE spokeswoman Leigh Dethman. The interchange was reopened Monday in time for the first day of classes at Utah Valley University, she said.
"Students at Utah Valley University can take the Orem Center Street interchange to 1200 West to get to class," Dethman said. "There has been some backing at the school's University Parkway entrance because of the roundabout."
She said the segment was done in close coordination with Orem and UVU.
"We recognize the inconvenience that many drivers have dealt with while this interchange has been closed," said Todd Jensen, I-15 CORE project director. "At the same time, we've been able to entirely reconstruct the interchange with new longer-lasting pavement and a design that helps traffic flow more smoothly."
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Survey finds fewer women working now than in...
- 3 tips for traveling cheaply
- Survey says parents spend $532.87 a month to...
- Fox News blocked from Dish Network
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Big changes coming to Cuba tourism with US...
- It's becoming easier to shop overseas this...
- Survey finds fewer women working now... 5
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on... 3
- What people never mention when they... 3
- About Utah: They're best in the world 3
- A look at North Korea's cyberwar... 1
- Constantly changing online prices stump... 1
- California puzzles over safety of... 1