USU volleyball: Aggie volleyball's Josselyn White named USU Athlete of the Week
Utah State volleyball player Josselyn White has been named the first America First Credit Union Utah State Student-Athlete of the Week of the 2012-13 school year, for the period ending Sunday, Aug. 26. This award is voted on by a state-wide media panel.
White, a senior outside hitter from Smithfield, Utah (Sky View HS), was named to the Utah State Invitational, sponsored by Gossner Foods, all-tournament team last weekend as she helped USU to a 3-1 record and a second-place finish. During the tournament, White hit .278 (43-13-108) with 43 kills, 34 digs and 10 blocks. White posted a career-high .500 attack percentage (14-0-28) in the win against Portland and logged a career-high 18 digs against Southern Utah.
With 10 total blocks on the weekend, White now has 268 career total blocks, needing just 11 more to break into the USU career top 10 list. It was White’s second career All-Tournament Team honor, after being named to the Utah Classic all-Tournament Team as a sophomore in 2010.
This is White's first career USU Student-Athlete of the Week accolade.
After opening the season with four home matches, Utah State now hits the road for its next seven matches, starting with three in the San Diego State Aztec Invitational next weekend in San Diego, Calif. USU will open action against Montana on Friday, Aug. 31, at 6 p.m. (MT), before taking on Sacred Heart on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 6 p.m. and host SDSU at 8 p.m.
Utah State will play at the Kansas State Invitational on Sept. 7-8 and then open up its final season in the Western Athletic Conference with action in Texas against league newcomers UTSA on Sept. 13 and at Texas State on Sept. 15. The Aggies return home to the friendly confines of the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum to host another Seattle on Sept. 20.
Utah State volleyball tickets are available by visiting the USU Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or by calling 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305.
Nominees from other sports for USU Student-Athlete of the Week included:
SOCCER – Junior forward Mari Miyashiro (Milihani, Hawaii) scored two goals this past weekend in helping Utah State to a 1-0-1 road record with a double-overtime tie at Creighton (1-1) and a 3-1 win at Nebraska-Omaha. Both of Miyashiro’s goals came in USU’s 3-1 win against UNO on just two shots on goal. In Utah State’s double overtime tie against Creighton, Miyashiro had three shots. For the week, she started two matches with two goals, five shots and 115 minutes played.
2012-13 Utah State Athlete of the Week Winners
Aug. 27 - Josselyn White, Volleyball
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 27
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 19