I was not surprised that she asked about my family, and she was not surprised to hear that before he left, Omar offered to troubleshoot a few issues on my laptop, just like the good old days. Talk about a long-distance service call.
I marveled at the success and influence of the Apple brand as Omar and his fiancée disappeared down the street.
Then I pondered about how this experience relates to individuals: whether we’re in business or not, don’t we all have a brand? It’s what people think of when they see us pass their windows. Are we service-minded? Are we kind? Are we generous with our time? Are we memorable miles away for the right reasons?
He didn’t mean to, but Omar’s visit made me think of the thousands of people I’ve met in the past few years in social and professional settings. What sort of impact have I had, and where would I rank on the American Customer Service Index?
How about you? Is your own personal brand reminiscent of Apple and its employees or something else?
Frankly, I can’t wait for Omar to pass by my window again. I’m having new computer issues, and this time I'm sure it’s almost definitely maybe not user error.
Jason F. Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of eight books, including "Christmas Jars" and "The Wednesday Letters." His latest, "The 13th Day of Christmas," will be released on Oct 9. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20