Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Most teenagers don't know how to manage money, according to a recent study by ING DIRECT USA and Capital One.
Just 17 percent of teens said they know a lot about how to manage money, according to the survey. Approximately 24 percent of teens incorrectly think that using a debit card is borrowing the bank's money instead of using their own. Overall, 44 percent get most of their money from a job outside of their home, while 30 percent get it from an allowance.
Parents have their hands full when it comes to preparing their children to handle money responsibly, the survey indicates.
"A parent's role in setting a financial example for their children is critical," said Jim Kelly, head of Direct Bank, ING DIRECT USA, in the news release. "Yet many parents feel unprepared to set an example, and that is why we've developed tools such as Plant Orange and the MONEY account to help get the conversation and habits started as early as possible."
Almost 12 percent of teens said they don't get any help at home with managing their money, according to the survey. Just under 15 percent of teens ages 15 to 17 said they don't get any help at home on managing finances. About 52 percent of teens said the majority of their financial learning happens at home. But 35 percent of parents said they're prepared to talk to their children about drugs and alcohol while just 26 percent are prepared to discuss finances with their teens.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: @BullockBlaze
- Lehi-based Vivint debuts innovation facility
- Q&A: Journalist Dan Rather speaks on courage...
- Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles
- CVS tacks tobacco payment to prescription...
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact...
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the workplace....
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination law...
- Dave Ramsey says: Keep expectations clear...
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Customer decline hits McDonald's sales,... 4
- Lower gas prices could mean economic... 3
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 3
- Another year, another small Social... 2
- Survey: Harassment a common part of... 2
- Q&A: Journalist Dan Rather speaks on... 2
- Dave Ramsey says: Keep expectations... 1