PROVO, Utah -- After polling all nine men's cross-country coaches in the conference, the West Coast Conference announced BYU is the pre-season favorite to win the conference championship.
The Cougars earned seven first-place votes and 63 points overall in the preseason poll. The University of Portland ranked second with two first-place votes, followed by the University of San Francisco in third and Gonzaga in fourth.
BYU also led the conference with five runners named to the Preseason All-West Coast Conference team. Those five are senior Rex Shields; juniors Tylor Thatcher, Jared Ward and Jason Witt; and sophomore Steve Flint.
Last year, the Cougars' inaugural season in the WCC, the team won its first WCC cross-country championship.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48