PROVO, Utah -- After polling all nine men's cross-country coaches in the conference, the West Coast Conference announced BYU is the pre-season favorite to win the conference championship.
The Cougars earned seven first-place votes and 63 points overall in the preseason poll. The University of Portland ranked second with two first-place votes, followed by the University of San Francisco in third and Gonzaga in fourth.
BYU also led the conference with five runners named to the Preseason All-West Coast Conference team. Those five are senior Rex Shields; juniors Tylor Thatcher, Jared Ward and Jason Witt; and sophomore Steve Flint.
Last year, the Cougars' inaugural season in the WCC, the team won its first WCC cross-country championship.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22