LOGAN — A Farmington girl died Sunday following a vehicle collision on Highway 89 Saturday afternoon.
Madison Urland, 3, was one of four people in a passenger car that was hit from behind as it was traveling below the speed limit northbound on the road at about 3:45 p.m. Saturday. Her 70-year-old grandmother, Marco Merrill, and mother, Monica Urland, were in the front seat of the car and a 5-year-old brother, Braden Urland, was with Madison in the back seat.
"She's very energetic and she was always smiling," said an uncle, Troy Urland, of San Diego. "She was just very magnetic. You just wanted to be with her and play with her, just a happy, energetic kid who could always make you smile."
An SUV driven by a 17-year-old came up too quickly on the slow-moving passenger car and hit it, sending it across the median and both lanes of southbound traffic, clipping another car before it stopped against a fence in a ditch on the west side of the highway, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Steven Winward.
Occupants of the other vehicles were not injured. Madison was flown to Primary Children's Medical Center and her mother, 42, was later flown to Intermountain Medical Center with various broken bones. She spent the night in the intensive care unit, but was later released.
Madison's grandmother and brother were taken to area hospitals with injuries. The brother had a concussion and has been released, but Marco Merrill remains hospitalized with a broken neck, back and ribs.
"At one point, everyone was in critical condition," Troy Merrill said. He said the family had just visited the grandfather's grave and was visiting a farm and relatives in Logan.
Madison died of injuries sustained in the accident Sunday. Winward said she was properly restrained at the time of the incident.
A fund for donations to help the family is set up at Zions Bank, in the name of Madison Urland.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 24