LOGAN — A Farmington girl died Sunday following a vehicle collision on Highway 89 Saturday afternoon.
Madison Urland, 3, was one of four people in a passenger car that was hit from behind as it was traveling below the speed limit northbound on the road at about 3:45 p.m. Saturday. Her 70-year-old grandmother, Marco Merrill, and mother, Monica Urland, were in the front seat of the car and a 5-year-old brother, Braden Urland, was with Madison in the back seat.
"She's very energetic and she was always smiling," said an uncle, Troy Urland, of San Diego. "She was just very magnetic. You just wanted to be with her and play with her, just a happy, energetic kid who could always make you smile."
An SUV driven by a 17-year-old came up too quickly on the slow-moving passenger car and hit it, sending it across the median and both lanes of southbound traffic, clipping another car before it stopped against a fence in a ditch on the west side of the highway, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Steven Winward.
Occupants of the other vehicles were not injured. Madison was flown to Primary Children's Medical Center and her mother, 42, was later flown to Intermountain Medical Center with various broken bones. She spent the night in the intensive care unit, but was later released.
Madison's grandmother and brother were taken to area hospitals with injuries. The brother had a concussion and has been released, but Marco Merrill remains hospitalized with a broken neck, back and ribs.
"At one point, everyone was in critical condition," Troy Merrill said. He said the family had just visited the grandfather's grave and was visiting a farm and relatives in Logan.
Madison died of injuries sustained in the accident Sunday. Winward said she was properly restrained at the time of the incident.
A fund for donations to help the family is set up at Zions Bank, in the name of Madison Urland.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 71
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 51
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 28
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14