LOGAN — A Farmington girl died Sunday following a vehicle collision on Highway 89 Saturday afternoon.
Madison Urland, 3, was one of four people in a passenger car that was hit from behind as it was traveling below the speed limit northbound on the road at about 3:45 p.m. Saturday. Her 70-year-old grandmother, Marco Merrill, and mother, Monica Urland, were in the front seat of the car and a 5-year-old brother, Braden Urland, was with Madison in the back seat.
"She's very energetic and she was always smiling," said an uncle, Troy Urland, of San Diego. "She was just very magnetic. You just wanted to be with her and play with her, just a happy, energetic kid who could always make you smile."
An SUV driven by a 17-year-old came up too quickly on the slow-moving passenger car and hit it, sending it across the median and both lanes of southbound traffic, clipping another car before it stopped against a fence in a ditch on the west side of the highway, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Steven Winward.
Occupants of the other vehicles were not injured. Madison was flown to Primary Children's Medical Center and her mother, 42, was later flown to Intermountain Medical Center with various broken bones. She spent the night in the intensive care unit, but was later released.
Madison's grandmother and brother were taken to area hospitals with injuries. The brother had a concussion and has been released, but Marco Merrill remains hospitalized with a broken neck, back and ribs.
"At one point, everyone was in critical condition," Troy Merrill said. He said the family had just visited the grandfather's grave and was visiting a farm and relatives in Logan.
Madison died of injuries sustained in the accident Sunday. Winward said she was properly restrained at the time of the incident.
A fund for donations to help the family is set up at Zions Bank, in the name of Madison Urland.
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Police identify man found dead near Jordan River
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Utah defends anti-polygamy law, saying it...
- Families protest at final prison relocation...
- State parks of Utah: Northern region
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 52
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Families protest at final prison... 27
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 18
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat... 18
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Watchdog group accuses Utah lawmaker of... 15