Midvale man killed in ATV accident in Big Cottonwood
BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON — An Midvale man was killed in a rollover accident on a popular trail near the top of Mineral Basin on Sunday.
Walter S. Engel, 74, died after he drove off the side of Mineral Fork Trail for an unknown reason, ended up on a steep hill, lost control and rolled, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. The ATV came to rest on top of Engel and Hoyal said Engel was not wearing a helmet.
There is no cell phone coverage in the area where the accident happened. Two others whom Engel was riding with, flagged down another ATV rider and asked him to make the half-hour trip to an area where there was cell phone reception and call 911. Hoyal said authorities received the call just before 10 a.m.
An Air Med helicopter, as well as search and rescue teams assisted Unified police in locating the man and removing him from the mountain.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 11
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 11
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 10